precision keyless chuck with R8 shank

Sorry that is incorrect. first one TIR max .00156" and the second .002"
I think those are very nice chucks. Anyone know the manufacturer?
is this because it can be off total amount in one direction and same amount in the other direction 180 degrees opposite?

That's correct. If it's out .0007" on one side it will be the same on the other.
There may be some obscure European chuck below .001" but I don't know of any.

Funny how they go to the fifth decimal on specs .00078. Then induce spindle runout your at a .001 so they’re right on.

0.00078 inches is 0.0198 mm. 0.02 mm converts to 0.000787 inches. It's likely that the original spec was 0.02 mm -- not sure why it got converted to 0.00078 inches rather than 0.00079. And it would have made more sense to convert to 0.0008 inches or even 0.001 inches -- I doubt that the run out spec is that precise.

Here is an old video I took when I checked the run out of the R8 drill chuck from Precision Matthews.

PM Drill Chuck

Here is an old video I took when I checked the run out of the R8 drill chuck from Precision Matthews.

PM Drill Chuck
So that had a total of 0.0005” total runout?

Sorry, but being a newbie I need a little help, was it total 0.0005 or was it less?

Looks good to me. Since were talking keyless chuck I had purchased a cheapy from cdco tools awhile back. Recently I noticed something odd and would like others to check theirs to see if mine is the oddball. With nothing in the chuck put the shank in one hand and with your other hand push and pull the actual chuck. Is there play between the shank and the chuck head with nothing in the chuck? Then when I put a tool in the chuck and tighten that play goes away. Seems odd to me like the shank is a touch loose fit till the chuck is tightened with tool in it. Anyone else see this with there keyless chuck?

I have PM chucks, the ultra precision ones...really very nice and I don’t notice the loose play you are experiencing.

Back