Precision Level??

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys in my quest to get my 11" setup the best it can be I guess cost money.Which having one I can use it for other things that I need something to be spot on.So my goal is to get the lathe level,align the head stock then the tail stock.So first thing is finding a level that does not cost a weeks pay,so went shopping on ebay and there is some no name brands that runs around 90.00 which claims to be within .0002. Yea I would love to have one of those 600.00 levels but I don't think the price on those is going to drop.Guys looking for suggestions and links or pics to what you use without taking out bank loan.:)

I used one of the Chinese levels to dial in my lathe. It worked fine for that. I got it close with the level, then used the 2 collar test to dial it in the rest of the way. If you are just leveling, you can do it with just the 2 collar. The precision level helps speed things up, but if you are looking to save a few bucks it can be skipped.

Do you have any reason to think that the headstock is out? I'd leave it alone unless you have a good reason. Tailstock you have to adjust a little when setting up if you need more than a couple thou. At least I seem to.

Thanks,yea I had to take lathe apart because it was really train wreck.Which I will never buy lathe thinking "I can fix that" type mine set

Last edited:
Ah, yeah, that will make the headstock need alignment. :)

A precision level with .0005 P.F. calibration is close enough for nearly any purpose, having one more sensitive than that is a PITA in terms of waiting for the bubble to settle down. One possibility is to get a Starrett level with .005 vial and replace the vial with the more sensitive one, and scraping the base (machined) to a more refined flatness.

Just buy a good quality level from the hardware store. You will double check your adjustments by taking test cuts anyway.

Keep an eye on Craig's list. I found a Starrett level in the Victoria listings a few months ago for $40. They show up fairly regularly in the Houston and Victoria listings under 'machinists tools'.

A good carpenters level will go for around 40.00, this machinist level from grizzly ( chines) goes for around 90.00 https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Master-Machinist-s-Level-8-x-0005-Per-10-/H2682
Those battery levels are around the 35.00 area.
I have each of the above ( my carpenters level is close the the machinist level cost)
Pick your poision. I use the digital finder alot more than the other 2, but I always use the machinist level on my machines

Back