Precision Mathews PM1340GT Review

zmotorsports

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, I was asked to do a video review of the Precision Mathews PM1340GT Taiwanese Gunsmithing lathe so here it is as promised.

Go easy on me as I am a complete novice at making videos. Thankfully my son is great at editing and removed some of my screwups.:whistle:

There is one section in the video about three-quarters of the way through where I am referencing the threading dial. I mentioned when cutting even threads and using numbers 1-4. This is incorrect, it is actually when cutting ODD number of threads. Sorry about the confusion, I may have been a little nervous talking on video.

If anyone has any specific questions or comments, please don't hesitate to ask and I can try to answer them.

Keep in mind I am not trying to sell this lathe, I have no affiliation to Quality Machine Tools/Precision Mathews. I am merely responding to requests about the lathe and trying to put together as honest review as possible because there is not really anything out there on videos referencing this lathe.

Mike.

Here is a link to the video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KNbbEoJf1TI

Last edited:
Nice video, thanks for posting. Brian

Thanks Brian, I appreciate that.

I was beginning to wonder if it was worth doing due to lack of response. I had a few people ask me to make a video after announcing that I ordered this lathe but no responses after posting it up other than yours.

Mike.

You did a nice job on the videos Mike, while i am not interested in the pm1340gt, i have been looking into the pm1440hd and the pm1640hd, each are made in china. From brief discussions with rayc, the fit and finish is of siilar quality, so its good to see what pm is offering in different price points and what you can be expected. I. Have seen many videos on the more affordable hobby machines they offer, and just a few "wow" type videos of higher end machines cutting. Your video is a nice mix of features you find important as well as a good run through of the features of the machine. Well done!
Thanks
Rich

Mike,
i think it was worth doing and the video was good quality. I was waiting for your mill to arrive and then I'll ping you and swing by for a personal look see. Don't worry, I'll be sure to bring a bucket to catch my drool. :)) One thing I noticed, that machine is way too pretty.

Dave

You did a nice job on the videos Mike, while i am not interested in the pm1340gt, i have been looking into the pm1440hd and the pm1640hd, each are made in china. From brief discussions with rayc, the fit and finish is of siilar quality, so its good to see what pm is offering in different price points and what you can be expected. I. Have seen many videos on the more affordable hobby machines they offer, and just a few "wow" type videos of higher end machines cutting. Your video is a nice mix of features you find important as well as a good run through of the features of the machine. Well done!
Thanks
Rich

Thanks Rich, I appreciate that. I tried to throw out points that I thought were important or what I would want to see. These were my first two videos, EVER, so I was also pretty nervous.

Mike,
i think it was worth doing and the video was good quality. I was waiting for your mill to arrive and then I'll ping you and swing by for a personal look see. Don't worry, I'll be sure to bring a bucket to catch my drool. :)) One thing I noticed, that machine is way too pretty.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Give me a shout and you are welcome to stop by any time. Thanks again for offering to let me mill my "T" for my QCTP, that meant a lot. For the time being, I re-threaded the "T" that came with the lathe to accept the threaded stud for the Dorian. I will machine the piece that came with the Dorian once I get my mill as the steel appears to be much better quality.

I did receive an email on Friday stating my mill is in transit, finally, and should be here end of the week, first of next week.

I will throw up pics of it when it arrives.

Mike.

Thanks Rich, I appreciate that. I tried to throw out points that I thought were important or what I would want to see. These were my first two videos, EVER, so I was also pretty nervous.

Thanks Dave. Give me a shout and you are welcome to stop by any time. Thanks again for offering to let me mill my "T" for my QCTP, that meant a lot. For the time being, I re-threaded the "T" that came with the lathe to accept the threaded stud for the Dorian. I will machine the piece that came with the Dorian once I get my mill as the steel appears to be much better quality.

I did receive an email on Friday stating my mill is in transit, finally, and should be here end of the week, first of next week.

I will throw up pics of it when it arrives.

Mike.

I thought I had commented on the videos you did. I think you did a fine job. Much better than many on YouTube. Thanks for posting them.

To the bolded. I can't wait to see this guy arrive and what you have planned for it.

I thought I had commented on the videos you did. I think you did a fine job. Much better than many on YouTube. Thanks for posting them.

To the bolded. I can't wait to see this guy arrive and what you have planned for it.

Thanks Dale, probably not too awfully much planned for it other than use the snot out of it.

Mike.

Excellent video for a rookie! Good work by your son and yourself. The stumble in the threading dial area was likely an issue as you are used to the other way and having to discribe the PM was against your nature as they say. Only one real critical item. When you had your cover off and pointing out the belt, gear train and the wiring that you installed, the power was ON. Yes I know that you were the only one in front of the machine but when you take another video, just be aware of the power on/off. Accidents can happen at the worst time in life. Been there done that.
Pierre

Great video and great machine mike! If I ever get an itch (or the $$) to upgrade from the PM1236, the 1340GT will be the machine. Need a mill first tho. Thanks for the vid

richard

Back