[4]

Precision Mathews Rml 16-60 V Lathe Arrived

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pb57

My Precision Mathews lathe arrived a couple days ago. I got it all set in place and leveled with a precision level and wired up with the help of my generous neighbor Mark who is an engineer. He made me a 1 inch by 16 inches long precision ground test bar and we put it in the 3 jaw chuck. At the chuck end it showed less than 2 tenths run out. We then put the other end in the tail stock and it again was less than 2 tenths! We were both amazed by the quality of this lathe. Mark has been in the factory in Taiwan where this lathe is made and he is the one that steered me towards buying from Matt. This machine is so quiet it's unbelievable. The videos I had watched of this machine were much louder than it actually is. Matt is great to deal with other than the time it took to get. He has offered to give me several hundred dollars with of toolmex tooling for the wait which is very generous. Thanks for looking
Paul

upload_2015-12-14_11-25-56.png

upload_2015-12-14_11-28-31.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Pb57

Not sure what happened but could someone fix the pictures. Thanks Paul

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Now that's a lathe... Very nice! :)

zmotorsports

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
WOW!!! I am not gonna lie, I'm a bit green with envy right now.

Mike.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Nice lathe, Paul! I don't want to rain on your parade, but a test bar in a 3 jaw chuck doesn't really tell you much of anything by itself, good or bad, about the lathe's accuracy. There are plenty of good references on the internet on how to test it properly and comprehensively. I see the leveling feet are installed, is it precision leveled yet? What kinds of things do you plan to make with it?

coolidge

Active User
Congrats! More pics please and what are those cables in the chip drawer? Great to hear about how quiet it is, that it seemed really loud on the youtube videos was something I was concerned about.

Pb57

The cables are for the DRO that I haven't installed yet. It's still waiting in its box. Yeah I don't know what was up with the videos I have seen of this lathe with the noise level. Must have been the sunsitivity of the microphone because this lathe is so so quiet it's unbelievable. I just got done breaking it in according to the manual and even running at 2500 rpm it is so quiet. The fit and finish is exceptional as well.
As far as the test bar yeah I realize that. I wanted to break it in first before doing any work with it but testing the runout on the chuck and tail stock alignment proved to be exceptional I think you would agree.

zmotorsports

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
What size is your Acer? Looks big, 10x54 or 9x49?

Mike.

Pb57

I restore old cars and tractors as a hobby but will be retiring in a few years and have other work lined up utilizing my machinery. The above pic is an old bronco I'm restoring as well as a hydraulic press I made and a new Acer mill I bought recently. Sorry for the double pics, not used to posting from my phone. If a mod could delete the extras I would appreciate it. Thanks

Pb57

The Acer is a 9x49 and is exceptional quality as well. I didn't know about precision Mathews at the time I bought it

Bob Korves

(snip)
As far as the test bar yeah I realize that. I wanted to break it in first before doing any work with it but testing the runout on the chuck and tail stock alignment proved to be exceptional I think you would agree.
.0002" runout test on a three jaw chuck is either very good or very lucky. You will need to check other diameters to see if the scroll is good at other diameters as well. I don't quite understand what or how you were testing with the bar in the three jaw and the other end of the bar on the tailstock center or how it related to tailstock alignment... Again and still, very nice lathe, Paul! You will get a lot of good use out of it!

coolidge

Active User
Pb57 you are going to be busy...taking photos and videos so we can live vicariously through you! :D

planeflyer21

Very nice! I'm not even back into another machine and I was already looking at the 16x40. Glad to hear the quality is very good.

Since nobody else is chiming in, :you suck: :aok:

Congratulations!

lpeedin

What a beast of a lathe! I would imagine a lathe that size making a lathe the size of my 1127VF!!

Pb57

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I will try to take some videos to post soon. Paul

Rich V

Some big specs!
Distance Between Centers
40" or 60"
Max. Swing over Bed
16"
Max Swing is Gap
25"
Width of Bed
12"
Spindle Mount/Bore
D1-6 2-1/4
Spindle Speeds, 12 steps
25-2000 RPM
Leadscrew Pitch (Main)
4 TPI
Cross Screw Pitch
10TPI (.100 Pitch)
Longitudinal Feeds
.011-.0633 IPR
Cross Feeds
.0003 to .01837 IPR
Inch Threads
2 to 112 TPI
Metric Threads
14mm to .1mm Pitch
M.P. Threads
7mm to .1mm Pitch
D.P. Threads
4 to 112 DP
Travel of Cross Slide
12-1/4"
Travel of Compund
5"
Tailstock Quill Travel
2-3/8"
Tailstock Taper
MT#4
Main Motor
7.5HP
Machine Weight

4850 (60") Pounds
Power Requirements
220/440 3 phase

sanddan

Active User
That thing is a beast. Congratulations.

coolidge

Active User
We need to see some pics soon of it making chips and the surface finish quality or its his wife's lathe and she won't let him run it. :p

Pb57

Haha. I still work for a living and haven't spent much time in the shop. As far as a wife I don't have another one yet. Got divorced 10 years ago and had a shop full of equipment at that time. Had to sell it all. This is my last item I had to buy to be equipped as I had been before the divorce so have some pity on me. Lol

coolidge

Active User
Been there and done that PB, again congrats on the new lathe! I have been drooling over the 16x40 version, did you get the single phase or three phase?

Pb57

I live out in the sticks so no 3 phase here. I got the single phase version. I had a 15-54 leblond servo shift when I was married which was a nice lathe although I like the fit and finish of the RML above the leblond and it runs much quieter. The RML is a heavier lathe as well

Pb57

Just a little update on the lathe. I chucked a piece of 2 inch diameter aluminum in the 3 jaw and it hung out 7 1/2 inches. I took 15 thousands off and measured each end. 5 tenths off from one end to the other and that's with the end hanging open, no live center. So far I'm impressed and Matt is great to deal with. Paul

planeflyer21

Wow! Definately going to be taking at look at the 1640 down the road.

Pb57

Nothing to complicated but I've made a couple of these paperweight bullets on the new lathe. They are solid aluminum and brass and scaled from a 40 caliber round. It is 2 inch diameter.
I'm a Deputy Sheriff at my real job and everyone at work wants one of these now.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

coolidge

Active User
Pb what kind of surface finish are you getting from the lathe? I'm assuming the paperweight was polished after turning?

Pb57

Coolidge so far all I've turned is aluminum and brass using carbide inserts. The inserts are made for turning aluminum and brass and are from toolmex that I got from Matt. The finish is beautiful. I sanded lightly with 1500 grit then buffed on my Baldor buffer. After the lathe cut there were no visible lines in the brass or aluminum. I love this lathe, and have I mentioned how quiet it is!

[6]
[5] [7]