Precision Mathews Rml 16-60 V Lathe Arrived

Pb57

Registered
Registered
My Precision Mathews lathe arrived a couple days ago. I got it all set in place and leveled with a precision level and wired up with the help of my generous neighbor Mark who is an engineer. He made me a 1 inch by 16 inches long precision ground test bar and we put it in the 3 jaw chuck. At the chuck end it showed less than 2 tenths run out. We then put the other end in the tail stock and it again was less than 2 tenths! We were both amazed by the quality of this lathe. Mark has been in the factory in Taiwan where this lathe is made and he is the one that steered me towards buying from Matt. This machine is so quiet it's unbelievable. The videos I had watched of this machine were much louder than it actually is. Matt is great to deal with other than the time it took to get. He has offered to give me several hundred dollars with of toolmex tooling for the wait which is very generous. Thanks for looking
Paul

upload_2015-12-14_11-25-56.png

upload_2015-12-14_11-28-31.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what happened but could someone fix the pictures. Thanks Paul

Nice lathe, Paul! I don't want to rain on your parade, but a test bar in a 3 jaw chuck doesn't really tell you much of anything by itself, good or bad, about the lathe's accuracy. There are plenty of good references on the internet on how to test it properly and comprehensively. I see the leveling feet are installed, is it precision leveled yet? What kinds of things do you plan to make with it?

Congrats! More pics please and what are those cables in the chip drawer? Great to hear about how quiet it is, that it seemed really loud on the youtube videos was something I was concerned about.

The cables are for the DRO that I haven't installed yet. It's still waiting in its box. Yeah I don't know what was up with the videos I have seen of this lathe with the noise level. Must have been the sunsitivity of the microphone because this lathe is so so quiet it's unbelievable. I just got done breaking it in according to the manual and even running at 2500 rpm it is so quiet. The fit and finish is exceptional as well.
As far as the test bar yeah I realize that. I wanted to break it in first before doing any work with it but testing the runout on the chuck and tail stock alignment proved to be exceptional I think you would agree.

Back