Precision Mathews Rml 16-60 V Lathe Arrived

We need to see some pics soon of it making chips and the surface finish quality or its his wife's lathe and she won't let him run it. :p

Haha. I still work for a living and haven't spent much time in the shop. As far as a wife I don't have another one yet. Got divorced 10 years ago and had a shop full of equipment at that time. Had to sell it all. This is my last item I had to buy to be equipped as I had been before the divorce so have some pity on me. Lol

Been there and done that PB, again congrats on the new lathe! I have been drooling over the 16x40 version, did you get the single phase or three phase?

I live out in the sticks so no 3 phase here. I got the single phase version. I had a 15-54 leblond servo shift when I was married which was a nice lathe although I like the fit and finish of the RML above the leblond and it runs much quieter. The RML is a heavier lathe as well

Just a little update on the lathe. I chucked a piece of 2 inch diameter aluminum in the 3 jaw and it hung out 7 1/2 inches. I took 15 thousands off and measured each end. 5 tenths off from one end to the other and that's with the end hanging open, no live center. So far I'm impressed and Matt is great to deal with. Paul

Nothing to complicated but I've made a couple of these paperweight bullets on the new lathe. They are solid aluminum and brass and scaled from a 40 caliber round. It is 2 inch diameter.
I'm a Deputy Sheriff at my real job and everyone at work wants one of these now.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Pb what kind of surface finish are you getting from the lathe? I'm assuming the paperweight was polished after turning?

Coolidge so far all I've turned is aluminum and brass using carbide inserts. The inserts are made for turning aluminum and brass and are from toolmex that I got from Matt. The finish is beautiful. I sanded lightly with 1500 grit then buffed on my Baldor buffer. After the lathe cut there were no visible lines in the brass or aluminum. I love this lathe, and have I mentioned how quiet it is!

Back