Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC conversion

Here is a good video on Overall Ratio Calculator: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1449&start=10

Here is the backlash information: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801

Backlash is the very last post, but the whole topic is a good read.

All these adjustments are necessary and alot easier to do before everything is enclosed.

I had on the x-axis almost .009 thousandth before I made my adjustments down to .0010 to .0013. The article also tells how to compensate in CNC12 for up to .0015 backlash.

Have you used your KP-3 yet? I almost pull the trigger everyday but I wanted to wait and get the machine setup properly first. I have a Haimer, but until I really know CNC12 and the commands, I wont use it. To easy to break probes and expensive to replace.

Yeah it does not seem to struggle or anything. When you power it off, it tends to come down though, so I put a piece of 2x4 underneath. A pulley and weight seems reasonable, just not sure how I can hide it. Is there some off the shelf hydraulic system one can add, or is that overcomplicating things?
A couple of weeks ago Marty (of martyscncgarage) posted a video on YouTube showing how to install a z-axis electric brake. This is a device that goes between the servo and the ballscrew and is locked when in a power-off condition. With a signal from the CNC board, it unlocks the z-axis.

This seems like a pretty good solution for the problem of the machine head coming down when the z-axis servo is powered down. It won't provide assistance to the servo motor during normal operation though, but you noted that the motor is powerful enough.

I enquired with Teknic support and Teknic will be offering this product as an OEM in a few weeks. It is currently available direct from the manufacturer.

Sakumar, I watched the video and called Teknic also. They sent an email to the manufacturer for me, but I havent heard from them. I think I'll wait until Teknic is carrying it. Nice solution, but expect it to cost around $350.

I have removed the enclosure to fix the base and check the backlash as recommended above. Am getting some 22GA steel sheet later in the week to make a tray. What kind of drain and diameter do you recommend? Will 1" be enough, or should I go for a shower-style 2" drain?

What coolant do you recommend for this application?

Still figuring out what kind of 8020 components I need for the sliding door. Thinking about this one (and its corresponding upper) versus the dual roller wheel assembly, or combining them: roller assy on top, and track on bottom?

2221_photo_2.png

2753_photo.png

Last edited:
Here is a good video on Overall Ratio Calculator: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1449&start=10

Here is the backlash information: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801

Backlash is the very last post, but the whole topic is a good read.

All these adjustments are necessary and alot easier to do before everything is enclosed.

I had on the x-axis almost .009 thousandth before I made my adjustments down to .0010 to .0013. The article also tells how to compensate in CNC12 for up to .0015 backlash.

Have you used your KP-3 yet? I almost pull the trigger everyday but I wanted to wait and get the machine setup properly first. I have a Haimer, but until I really know CNC12 and the commands, I wont use it. To easy to break probes and expensive to replace.
That is very useful, thank you, I will test the backlash and report back.

Sakumar, I watched the video and called Teknic also. They sent an email to the manufacturer for me, but I havent heard from them. I think I'll wait until Teknic is carrying it. Nice solution, but expect it to cost around $350.
jlchapman, I finally heard back from the z-axis brake manufacturer (Newstart Motion). They quoted $400 -- including shipping from China.

jlchapman, I finally heard back from the z-axis brake manufacturer (Newstart Motion). They quoted $400 -- including shipping from China.
I very much doubt that I'll ever spend 400 dollars on a brake when I can just slip a piece of wood under the head.

I very much doubt that I'll ever spend 400 dollars on a brake when I can just slip a piece of wood under the head.
You're probably right. I worried about scenarios where there's a power failure and the self-lowering head gouges through a part, or the table or worse. Or if I forget to place the wood and it breaks a KP-3 probe or perhaps a Haimer tip. Definitely an expensive solution though but since Teknic are going to OEM it, I feel reassured about the quality.

I'm going to wait and see if teknic carries the brake. Will have to be cheaper to get me interested.

GREAT Thread!!! I am working on the conversion of my PM728VT as well. It has stopped for the moment because I can't get it done and tested in time to make some parts needed by mid-May. I will have to make those parts manually instead of CNC.

I will post some pictures and such later. I really appreciate learning from others!

Back