Precision Matthews Quality

cypressslough

Registered
Registered
I am in the process of deciding on a new mill and lathe. I really like the features and prices on both the PM45 mill and the PM1236 lathe. I have read the horror stories and praises for PM/QMT. I have also read the same stories for virtually every supplier of Chinese machines. Should I stay away from PM/QMT and go with a different supplier or pull the trigger and order from them?

Brian

I am in the process of deciding on a new mill and lathe. I really like the features and prices on both the PM45 mill and the PM1236 lathe. I have read the horror stories and praises for PM/QMT. I have also read the same stories for virtually every supplier of Chinese machines. Should I stay away from PM/QMT and go with a different supplier or pull the trigger and order from them?

Brian

I can't help with any practical advice, but the PM45 and the smaller PM 30, 25, and 20 all seem to offer remarkable value for money, especially when compared to the 'old school' bench top mills with round columns.

You're right about the horror stories though, I've read them about virtually every import machine.
However, it's been my (albeit limited) experience with imports, that any deficiencies are usually in fit, finish, and fine tuning, rather than the entire product being a complete POS.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually bought one of these.

M

Exactly! THat's why I posted. I want to hear from people with PM/QMT experience. Most of the stories I've read are from a couple of years ago. I haven't come across any recent info regarding PM/QMT issues. I did read a post from QMT yesterday stating they had teamed up with Weiss Machinery to supply some of their machines and shipping dates were being met. I am curious which machines are Weiss products.

I bought my PM45 over a year ago. It's been OK. In retrospect, I should have gotten a knee mill. Tech support from QMT can be a bit hard to get as Matt seems to never be available.

My only issue with QMT is that my mill was made with 8 TPI leadscrews rather than 10 TPI, which gives me .125 feed per turn on the handles. Matt said he'd send me the parts to bring it to the 10 TPI QMT states, but I never received them. He said it might take a while, but over a year is a bit ridiculous.

John

Brian

I got the PM1236 last year. It's the first lathe that I own, but not the first that I've used (mostly Jets and older European machines years ago). I'm very happy with the machine so far. The ways are very straight and flat. All movement is smooth and tight. There are a couple small nits:

- The gearbox takes a little babying when switching settings, especially the auto-feed gearbox. Once set, it runs smooth as silk.
- The autofeed lever takes a little oomph and wiggle to engage when changing from one side to the other. But going in and out of the feed is smooth and easy.
- The steady-rest really needs bearings, not solid tips

But I've experienced the same and worse with the far more expensive Jet machines at our local makerspace (well, it's really in Philly, but it's the closest one with good machines).

Re: QMT:
1. Matt is VERY knowledgeable about his machines
2. He totally stands behind his product: when the 3-jaw chuck just wouldn't run true, he worked with me on the phone, sometimes late at night, to try a whole bunch of different things. When it became clear that it wasn't going to be right, he sent me a new one, already tested, free of charge and in only a couple of days. That's service!!!
3. QMT is no different from any other supplier of Chinese machinery in that they totally depend on both the supplier and the Customs office in terms of delivery dates. It's exactly the same with Grizz, or anyone else. Basically, whatever they tell you, multiply it by 2 or even 3 and you won't be far off
4. As with all smaller shops, Matt is QMT and QMT is Matt. Both the good and the bad. In particular, Matt doesn't really deal with email when things get busy. If you want something from QMT you HAVE TO CALL MATT. And you have to keep calling until you get him on the phone. Once you do, you get clear, good, timely information, and any issues get resolved quickly and well. Yes, there are other competent folks in the office and in the shop. But they don't always have all the up-to-date info. Once you understand that, dealing with QMT is a pleasure. You can not rush the process. You have to have patience.

Overall: I am happy with the machine, and happy with QMT. I would unreservedly deal with them again. If my Mother-in-law ever decides to get her own lathe, I'll call Matt first.

Re: PM45: I looked at it pretty closely when I was buying my mill. I decided to go with the Industrial Hobbies square-column mill, instead. It's heavier and more rigid, has a huge working cube, and I liked what Tom Spada had to say. Having gone through that experience, I would do it the same way again, and would recommend it to others, with the exact same communications caveat (see #4 above).

I have a 1440 I bought from Matt and as far as Chicom quality its a cut above & 2 year guarantee on top of the service & parts makes up for the delay,s on shipping which he is at the Mfg mercy. The equipment is not like OLD US iron BUT its not worn out or buggerd up.:nono:
I will buy from him again :))

Thanks guys. I have considered the Grizzly 4003G and an IH mill but kinda liked the idea of getting both at one place. I still haven't made up my mind on which route I wanna go. I'm pretty sure I would have zero regrets either way I go.

I am in the market for a milling machine and I have narrowed down to a choice between a Rong Fu RF-45, Precision Matthews PM45 and Industrial Hobbies 45 machine. I am impressed with the IH machine for its better specs, wider table etc. I have now e-mailed IH and left phone messages with them for 2 weeks now but no response whatsoever as of yet.

I wouldn't buy machinery from a company that can't respond to customers, provide after sales service, spare parts etc. I have therefore started to lean towards the RF45 or the PM45.

Does anyone know if this company ( Industrial Hobbies) is still in business? Does anyone have an opinion of how RF45 and PM45 machine compares to the IH and also any preference between RF45 and PM45?

Tom

A few years ago, I was looking at these same machine. I didn't go with IH because it seemed they were having troubles with their business. -Not saying anything bad about their product but, was concerned about the viability of the business. Also, they make their own forgings etc and I figured replacement parts might be more difficult to get.

Rong Fu... Well, you can only buy them from various wholesalers -and who knows what kind of support you'll get there.

Matt at PM is difficult to get a hold of for general chit-chat but, Nicole will tell you when he's in the office and if you call then, you will get a hold of him. Anyhow, I've got a PM 45 and like it a lot. I do plan to put additional oilers on the ways and that's my only nit about the machine. I'm also converting it to 3 phase -and I wouldn't invest in a machine that wasn't worth it...

Ray

Now even Industrial Hobbies website seems to have been taken down!!

Back