Precision Twist Drilll drills made in Brazil?

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I may not care as much that my machines are pretty, but when I use a drill, I want to see two beautiful, equal, twisting chips spiraling out of that hole!

I just purchased a new set of screw machine length fractional drills from a local supplier. Whenever possible I try to buy locally, from small businesses like my own.

All over the Cardboard outside box, it says "Made in USA". Even on the Huot drill index inside it says "Drill America " "Made in USA":

eha7adu4.jpg

When I slipped out a and looked at the drill bit itself, it clearly says "Brazil" on the side!

e5ugavev.jpg

My local supplier is a good guy. He sells high-quality products. Frankly, it is clear these drills are really high quality. nothing like the horror freight stuff.

BUT It pisses me off seeing very blatant "Made in America" stickers all over this packaging, when the product is obviously manufactured in Brazil! PTD has made really nice drills in the US for a long time. I am sad they aren't made here, but PO'd that they still mark them this way.

I am off my soapbox now. :)

Bernie

eha7adu4.jpg

e5ugavev.jpg

Yup, that is a real wizzer. I bought a set like that a few years back. The Hout drill index is still USA made, just not the bits that it holds.

ANd the sticker is probably usa made too. . .

Better hope the drills are better than the worthless Nicholson files now made in Mexico and Brazil. They are so soft,an old Nicholson USA made file will easily file off 1/32" of the surface of the new file,to well below the gullets of the file teeth.

ANd the sticker is probably usa made too. . .

That's right David! It's the STICKER that was made in the USA! Ha ha Ha

Actually I'm writing again to potentially "stand corrected".

The drills are definitely made in Brazil, and I really hope they are high-quality. They definitely seem like it upon first inspection.

But I believe now, that the "Made in USA" sticker DOES have to do with the Huot Drill index that the drills came in instead of the drill themselves. The box itself belongs to the Huot Index as well.

They were not purchased at a "discount price" either, so upon my inspection, and the price I paid, I'm going to assume that they are usual PTD Quality and I'll let you know when I've used them. But they probably do not deserve the treatment with which I started this thread.

But I do still wish they were made inside United States borders, by United States workers.

Bernie

The sticker is for the index, not what is inside. Huot puts that sticker on their all their Drill Indexes.

"Billy G"

Through my travels all over Brazil, the only things that unite them are Soccer, Futsol, beer, and thongs.

In my country, Australia to place a made in Australian sticker logo on a product the manufacturer must satisfy the Government that the manufactured product is truly manufactured here in Australia.
The logo a stylized green and gold kangaroo set in a triangle, has been used on Australian manufacturing products for 30 years or so.

A consumer can immediately see if the product is of local origin. Its a true guarantee of authenticity.

Despite that a local drill manufacturer runs an advertisement through the buy Australian campaign featuring a worker asking you to buy the product and keep in him in a job. The very same company sells their bottom grade drill sets clearly made in China but sans the logo.

Its simply trading on a past Brand name where the quality is not often the same as it was.

Oz

Well Oz

I think we need to do that here. Sadly, we wouldn't see it many places anymore!! :mad:

Bernie

Back