Preparing a granite surface plate

As a curler, you are tight! we fret about how the different rocks slide!

I use ammonia wipes in a pop up container. That way I have a clean cloth every time, and they are lint free.

What is it about ammonia (either as a concentrate or ingredient within Windex or whatever) that makes it good for granite to begin with?

What is it about ammonia (either as a concentrate or ingredient within Windex or whatever) that makes it good for granite to begin with?
Just a guess, but ammonia is an effective solvent that is relatively safe and non reactive with granite and steel tools. It also leaves no residue behind.

Ammonia is an effective and inexpensive cleaner that cuts oil and grease and does not leave a residue. It does not harm granite.

Just a guess, but ammonia is an effective solvent that is relatively safe and non reactive with granite and steel tools. It also leaves no residue behind.
But ammonia is a caustic, so how is that safe with tools.

I have never had a problem when using it on my surface plate with tools that I really care about. I do let it evaporate completely before using the surface plate. I don't think I would like to leave my tools submerged in ammonia, so I don't. I actually have had more trouble with generic WIndex type products than with ammonia.

But ammonia is a caustic, so how is that safe with tools.
The only metal I can recall seeing ammonia react with is copper. Its supposed to harm the iron oxide in steel bluing, but I never left it on blued steel long enough to see the damage.

Back