Preparing a shop for sub-zero temperatures

Dang, I have never had to deal with temps that cold.
It seems like the infrared style gas people heaters would be the most efficient and affective.
That’s what we use at the dealership. Each stall has a people heater above their work area.
Cold to us is in the 30’s and 40’s though.

Just spring here and I'm going to sound like a wimp since the coldest it gets is about 1 degree C [34F]maybe overnight but high humidity and those Southerlies are straight off the Alps. By next winter I intend to have a couple of the newer infrared heaters with variable output. The one I bought was an outdoor model and needed to much clearance so I gave it to a friend with 5500 square feet of shop. It is mounted high up and works on his workbench area. Very pleasant underneath and all the tools are warm like they were in the Sun so no cold fingers. I like these as they warm objects and then the objects radiate heat which stops condensation. There are a lot of waste oil burner designs around as well which blast heat out. I can't even imagine the temperatures that seem normal to some of you.

Put insulating floor matting down to cover all areas not occupied by heavy machinery and run a dehumidifier, use a timer for On/Off periods as necessary.
That will keep the temperature up and remove the water you add to the shop.

I have an externally vented Modine "Hot Dawg" for my shop. It costs a bit more than a portable but doesn't add additional humidity and there is no need to keep a door or window open. My last shop had a wood stove which worked ok also. The propane is a bit more convenient and allows me to keep it heated for a few days unattended if required for things like paint drying. I do miss the wood stove at times.

https://www.modinehvac.com/web/prod...-heaters-hotdawg/hot-dawg-power-vented-hd.htm

There's no point having externally exhausted gas heaters in a shop where you allow humans to breathe out ;-)

I have a gas heater in my shop that is ceiling mounted, much like a Hot Dawg; It keeps things quite dry and cool, but not too cold. I have a 50,000 BTU unit for a 650 Sq Ft garage. I insulated it to R12 in the bad old days; now I am reconsidering putting much more in.

My shop floor is only partially insulated as well, something that will get fixed this winter!

Put insulating floor matting down to cover all areas not occupied by heavy machinery

That friend I gave the heater to I also delivered several truck loads of off-cuts from a wood supply company. These were 4" x 2" of assorted small lengths when timber was cut to length and any blemishes removed. I thought I was supplying firewood but he used them to lay down a Parquet floor over the concrete slab, all except for an area where stuff like bulldozers or other vehicles go to be worked on. Glue was the only cost and it is great insulation, very hard wearing too.

Just spring here and I'm going to sound like a wimp since the coldest it gets is about 1 degree C [34F]maybe overnight but high humidity and those Southerlies are straight off the Alps.
OK. Now please educate this geographical ignoramus. Which Alps are you talking about? Surely not the Swiss Alps (which are on the far side of the Equator)????

Hi hman,
Southern Alps which run up South Island. Some days in Winter the wind comes up from Antarctica and travels up along the Alps, across the straight then hits a couple more mountains and goes through my bones like an ultrasonic razor-blade. One of those lazy winds that goes through you not around you. Here's a You Tube of a helicopter flight from a station to Milford. Good hunting grounds.

Yeah, I've had plenty of suggestions from neighbors on heating the space - most of them just went all-in and installed a vented heating system for their detached workshops.

For now, I'm okay with abandoning the shop during sub-zero temps, as I still have a basement shop to work in, and that stays above freezing.

I'm more worried about damage to machines/instruments/materials caused by exposure to these temps, but as Jim Dawson mentioned this is likely to be negligible. Cold storage it is, then.

EDIT: I did purchase a small electric oil-filled (radiant) heater and will be using that to keep the space above freezing until it can no longer keep up. I'll try to remember to update this with how it worked out in around Feb.

Thanks, all.

Back