Preparing a shop for sub-zero temperatures

I did purchase a small electric oil-filled (radiant) heater and will be using that to keep the space above freezing until it can no longer keep up. I'll try to remember to update this with how it worked out in around Feb.

I also use a oil-filled radiant heater. I have an insulated shop with exposed concrete floors. I put the heater on the floor behind my lathe and it does not take up any otherwise usable floor space. Keeps the shop very comfortable in the winter.
But of course I am in Central Texas and while we do get a some days each year below freezing it is rarely very many so this work to keep the shop comfortable. The exposed concrete is so it will help keep the shop cooler in the summer which is much more of a concern.

"For optimal storage, maintain product at a
temperature between 8°C (46°F) to 21°C (70°F). Storage
below 8°C (46°F) or greater than 28°C (82°F) can adversely
affect product properties. Cyanoacrylate products must be
stored under refrigerated conditions at 2°C (36°F) to 8°C
(46°F). Storage below 2°C (36°F) or greater than 8°C (46°F)
can adversely affect product properties."

Looks like the Loctite will get kept in the house.

I'm more worried about damage to machines/instruments/materials caused by exposure to these temps, but as Jim Dawson mentioned this is likely to be negligible. Cold storage it is, then...

I suggest you get a Sureshot sprayer. Fill it with motor oil thinned with diesel. Spray all the metal surfaces. Stops rust and is quick to apply.

I suggest you get a Sureshot sprayer. Fill it with motor oil thinned with diesel. Spray all the metal surfaces. Stops rust and is quick to apply.

Yup! Been doing that since the problems with humidity this summer. Beats the pants off using a brush - those sureshots are great. Gave it a go applying way oil to the lathe after its first real cleaning - results were a bit mixed (ways oiled very quickly, but with too much oil).

Mobilmet soluable oil should not be allowed to freeze.

Thanks for mentioning that - I don't use S-122, but it reminded me to check up on the cutting fluids I use. The Oatey dark cutting oil is fine, of course, but the SDS for Tap Magic (Aqueous) lists its freezing point as 32F and includes "do not freeze" on the storage requirements.

Between that and the Loc-tite, it looks like an evening of downloading SDS PDFs is in order. Only way to be sure.

I don't know how you people live in those below zero temps. A pity you didn't put some hydronic water pipes in the concrete slab when it was poured. I imagine your barn has quite a high roof, so you could raise the floor level and put some pipes in as you do it, then set a thermostat at say 5c for standby and just add some extra heat when you're in the shop, A flued propane or wood burner, or electric whatever suits.

Even in Australia where I live the midwinter min is rarely ever below about 5c my garage shop is heated to 15c by a hydronics setup running of a wood burner, that heats the whole house to around 22c. So condensation is never a problem, and I can work in the shop with only a light jacket over house clothes.

I did, and I heat with Coal, both the house and shop. We have a humidifier in the house but my shop is dry, no problem with condensation or cold.
I don't know how you people live in those below zero temps. A pity you didn't put some hydronic water pipes in the concrete slab when it was poured.

We haven't been allowed to use coal here for as long as I can remember, but we do use wood, mostly red gum, also known as Red River gum, Eucalyptus camaldulensis about the best firewood you can get. It's an Australian native, but now grown all over the world, mostly for firewood. I've even read that in Brazil they use it for smelting steel.

Back