Press plate shapes?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 20 ton press, and some 1"x 5" steel plate that I have cut to length for the press. I know a V notch, and a round are useful. What dimensions for the V, round, and what other additions would you add?

Howzit, Aukai. My 1" plates have just half-rounds and V's. The rounds are 1/2" radius and 1" radius. The V's are 3/4" and 1.5" from edge to point. Each V or half-round is opposite it's smaller version.

I considered other shapes but have found the half-rounds and V's adequate for everything I've had to press so far. Between the two, I would guess the V's are the most useful. Glad you're going with solid steel; I don't like to use cast plates.

Thank you,I believe that the manufactures are moving away from cast. That is what I am gleaning from the net, and salesman, but they are still out there. The cast is dangerous for sure.

I have a home made 100 ton press,and Ive found that for straightening shafts ,1" thick by 6" deep is so far unbent......about a 10 " clear span between the cross bars......but rather than notching the pieces ,I made a couple of saddles that sit anywhere on the 6x 1 pieces.....Ive used up to 50 tons odd for straightening some hardened shaft,but you need to be careful with hardend shaft it doesnt suddenly snap.....the press is a traditional cross beam type with slidable ram,and I wanted to keep the accessories fully adjustable too......I also found a 14x18 piece of 2" plate that fits the press,but weight is massive,and I just keep it up against one side .....needs a forklift to move off the press.....Again no bend with punching dies mounted on the plate .......make a fair old bang when the punch goes thru 3/8 plate though.................I also drilled 1" clearance holes thru each outer edge ,and a 1" bar inserted thru keeps the pieces from being knocked over while setting shafts on it......If you are planning on bending rather than straightening,you will need a stronger dedicated setup.

Last edited:
Thanks John, No plans on maxing the table, and plates. I may investigate punching dies at a later date, but nothing thick.

I had 2" rounds on mine,and found they bent all the time......but easily bent back.....but surprising..........they were some kind of blacksmith made thing with a pierced slot in each end......maybe something very soft like wrought iron........I know they tear up if I try to turn them with carbide tooling,and leave a very rough surface......But found some 2" square,and they are OK.Its handy to have lots of different height bits when straightening things with odd shapes....I pressed a gear from a truck gearbox that had sheared the key and spun on the layshaft ,took nearly 80 tons to break free the small ring of weld that formed from friction........one of the better buys is a big bearing separator ,like an OTC,super strong ,and very handy for any kind of extraction job.....Ive got the second biggest they make...so big no one wanted it at the auction.......To work these pullers as a puller ,you need a helper,but on a press ,they are magic and essential.........Another tip......for separating Harley, Indian,and British bike flywheels use some offcuts of heavy (1/2 or 5/8)truck spring.......mild steel will just bend ,truck spring is 3x as strong.

Last edited:
Back