Pretty sure I need a mill part 2 cleanup

Looking good. Amazing what a little elbow grease will do. Doesn't look like it got a ton of use. Mike

Slowly moving along as time permits. Pretty boring stuff but the pictures are a good reference for others that may come along.
arc-170 did a nice write up on cleaning and setting up his RF-30.
He also called out the left hand thread spindle nut. In this case no wrench required, the nut was about a half turn loose.
pulley came off with little resistance. Just hand turning the puller bolt and it slipped right off.
0C49521A-AF01-4F4A-909C-F82AB9368670.jpeg

D798AFDC-2448-4FA1-87DD-09864D8EE6E3.jpeg

Stop here or keep pushing on? Trying to keep disassembly down so I don’t end up with a pile of parts and no time to reassemble. Only 4 bolts and a power cable though.
1C09AED0-1BA2-4B56-ADFC-8A445E14711E.jpeg
19FE2C23-DE6E-4608-855C-D69A7A41C196.jpegABDE0C83-9220-4D77-A0E7-A5B187357918.jpeg
plan is to finish up the top end and get it back together before moving on to the table and quill

I just got a new to me RF30 , I was surprised that it didn't have oil ports for the ways like my rf25 had.

Have you got any ball oilers type things on the table ?

Stu

I just got a new to me RF30 , I was surprised that it didn't have oil ports for the ways like my rf25 had.

Have you got any ball oilers type things on the table ?

Stu

No oiler points for the table ways on mine either.

steve

Got all the dried varnish off the column tonight. Glad to get this done as it was a bit of a PIA

I kept my Rong Fu going for 12 years before upgrading out of it. All that time and work on it, and I never got around to cleaning the varnished cosmoline off the column. I tip my hat to you, sir!

I kept my Rong Fu going for 12 years before upgrading out of it. All that time and work on it, and I never got around to cleaning the varnished cosmoline off the column. I tip my hat to you, sir!
Now that's some funny stuff :)
In an odd spot time wise right now and starting a new pastime/hobby while moving was not really part of the plan (supposed to happen after).
The RF-30 purchase was a bit by chance so it sits in the garage with my grinder which is the total content of my shop. Have no tooling, no work holding, little knowledge of what I'm getting into.
So for now after my work day is done and moving chores finished for the evening I have a beer, clean the mill and educate myself. It's low stress stuff.

steve

Back