Pretty sure I need a mill part 2 cleanup

pulled the motor pulley off. Required a little bit of prybar work as there is no way to use a standard puller but was not that difficult to get off. Little surprised that the key is there. There are also two set screws In the bottom pulley.
Bit more dust removal and all I had time for
FCCF39E2-DE8E-4254-ABCC-EC5C564E08D4.jpeg

6C54CDF2-70EF-44DF-8F48-AAB34A6A30C8.jpeg

Me and a few others on this site have done a few mods to make the Rong Fu more reliable. There are a few big threads and lots of scattered posts on these improvements, but you have to dig around.

Here's a tip that I wanted to share since your first picture posts. I don't think head alignment jigs are necessary, but the head bolt upgrade made a world of difference:

Me and a few others on this site have done a few mods to make the Rong Fu more reliable. There are a few big threads and lots of scattered posts on these improvements, but you have to dig around.

Here's a tip that I wanted to share since your first picture posts. I don't think head alignment jigs are necessary, but the head bolt upgrade made a world of difference:
Thanks I had ran across this and lost track of it!

I also had a problem with head bolts but my round column mill/drill is a bit different:

Reinstall head.jpeg

Mine has an intermediate casting between the base and column. Four bolts are supposed to attach the column portion via threaded holes in the intermediate casting. The former owner had stripped the threads on one hole. All of the other threaded holes were a pretty sloppy fit on the bolts (one was particularly loose). Eventually, I drilled them out to the next larger size since there was room inside the intermediate casting for a regular nut. I think the special nuts and washers mentioned above might have been a better solution if they would fit.

Craig

Last few bits done and ready to start putting things back together!

9D79CC9A-572A-44DC-A6E1-6F9B914244B7.jpeg

5A15C3B9-8617-4B07-87B9-C7B05955D1E9.jpeg

CBB577BB-9E1D-44AF-B82E-F6EC4F90C663.jpeg

AB061C52-B532-4FD2-8B2C-0C03EF120FDD.jpeg

fine feed gears are fairly well sealed so will use grease to relube.
everything else is going to get a slightly sticky oil lube, can’t see a reason for grease on the column or rail.

One observation
Other than the lock nut for the column gib and the idler pulley nuts, nothing was much more than finger tight at best.

Back