Pretty sure I need a mill part 2 cleanup

For the time being I’m going to let things alone on this front.
Not sure what the process would be to check but sound like a good learning experience
'ThatLazyMachinist' did a good video on tramming an RF-30 style mill:

When I check mine, I used a 1/2 thou indicator with a 4 inch radius from the spindle. Initially, it was out by 6 thous left-to-right and 3 thous front-to-back. I cut apart an old set of feeler gauges and used the leaves for shim stock. It is fussy work and takes a number of iterations--easy to overshoot and not notice. This is the setup I used:

tramming setup.jpg

Craig

Thanks for the video, picture and input Craig!
I’m Curious now and just received a DTI so will explore this just for fun.

steve

Last few bit and putting a fork in it. It’s done
1B8BC1DD-57BA-4E34-9925-FE68FC796277.jpeg
love the sexy McMaster-Carr Pontiac 428 head bolt upgrade!
FC8781F7-76B6-491E-BCC7-04A14BCDA7D5.jpeg

6FA38143-A43E-4A80-B558-6FE906DE0804.jpeg2AEB70DB-470D-4B67-961E-2FE2D59A95CD.jpegWill do do a overview of the experience later
Found the experience very enjoyable and knowledge gained was worth the effort.

steve

Very nice, I'm still not tearing mine all the way down like that though....

Excellent detailed photo essay for anyone else who does :)

John

Great job! I hadn't realized that it has forward/reverse. The manual that came with mine suggested that this was a factory option. Can you tell if yours was delivered that way or if a prior user modified it?

What is your slowest RPM? Mine is 120 RPM and I'm starting to understand that that can be a limiting factor with HSS tooling. For example, a 4 inch HSS slitting saw should be run at about 85 RPM, AIUI. The same for a fly cutter with HSS.

Craig

Now you need a power feed and a DRO. The RF mill really comes alive with these capabilities. Here's a pic, just so you can see how I mounted the quill scale for the DRO, because a picture is worth a thousand words. Best mods ever!

IMAG0069.jpg

I have an older hf model. Are the brass buttons only on newer models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back