Pretty sure I needed a mill part 1

DeadGuyAle

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
My newly acquired RF-30
Retirement is looming and want to keep the brain engaged with a small shop but sometimes get ahead of myself.
Sure most know the story, the interest level is there but the plan is to hold off. Never hurts to look though right? Come across an online auction estate sale and the RF-30, good pictures, two hours away, forklift loading, let’s bid.
Actually had several days to research the HF RF-30. Check it’s Taiwan manufactured, no vice, no drill chuck arbor. Pictures look ok no obvious damage. Has its limits but capable machine from what am finding.
$1350 later I own a mill.
So off to the South for a visit with my 90 year old mom and pick up a 660 lbs mill.
Poured down rain while loading, poured down rain on the drive back.
Home at last, not quite there yet…
In the middle of moving after 30 years in the current residence so why not add a mill purchase into the plan.

BB518B2F-4E51-4F29-B7D9-4E910846E533.jpeg

Attachments

• 1690D005-6B33-4FB0-AB8D-43E487F8CF55.jpeg
    1690D005-6B33-4FB0-AB8D-43E487F8CF55.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 31
Congrats @DeadGuyAle . Now the fun begins! So you are saying that you are moving everything to a new location after 30 years? That is quite the job!

Oh, welcome to the best machinist forum out there! :welcome:

Did the same thing when I retired in 2005. Picked up an RF-31 and got very involved in gun smith work. Eventually found an older SB Hvy10 to add to my garage shop. Been having a blast ever since! Good luck and have fun!

Congrats @DeadGuyAle . Now the fun begins! So you are saying that you are moving everything to a new location after 30 years? That is quite the job!

Oh, welcome to the best machinist forum out there! :welcome:
Yep, 30 plus years. Self moving a bit at a time to the new place 2 hours away. There are days when a gallon of gas and a match seem like a better option :) Thanks for the welcome!

Steve

Did the same thing when I retired in 2005. Picked up an RF-31 and got very involved in gun smith work. Eventually found an older SB Hvy10 to add to my garage shop. Been having a blast ever since! Good luck and have fun!
I'm funding this new adventure by selling some of my reloading supplies and guns. Market is pretty strong right now.
Still struggling how to answer the reoccurring question "What are you going to do with it" Learning something new and fun is certainly at the heart of it though!
Thanks
Steve

My newly acquired RF-30
Retirement is looming and want to keep the brain engaged with a small shop but sometimes get ahead of myself.
Sure most know the story, the interest level is there but the plan is to hold off. Never hurts to look though right? Come across an online auction estate sale and the RF-30, good pictures, two hours away, forklift loading, let’s bid.
Actually had several days to research the HF RF-30. Check it’s Taiwan manufactured, no vice, no drill chuck arbor. Pictures look ok no obvious damage. Has its limits but capable machine from what am finding.
$1350 later I own a mill.
So off to the South for a visit with my 90 year old mom and pick up a 660 lbs mill.
Poured down rain while loading, poured down rain on the drive back.
Home at last, not quite there yet…
In the middle of moving after 30 years in the current residence so why not add a mill purchase into the plan.

View attachment 409652
All I see is a tarp. What a tease......
Please share more pics as you get it set up.

Awesome! Mine (Clone) looks just like that, all wrapped up till I clear a spot out for it ;)
Part II does entail unloading, spot clearing and unwrapping, getting closer. Is that a 70's era 250 Husky in your avatar?

Steve

All I see is a tarp. What a tease......
Please share more pics as you get it set up.
There's a table in the picture! It was bonus with the mill purchase, at 200lbs and 1 1/4" plate top thinking it might be overkill.
More pictures coming in part II - Transport to new house and unloading saga.

Steve

Good eye there! Steve McQueen on a 1970 Husky 400 Cross. I have a 1975 Husky 360 CR GP bought new from Malcolm Smith's shop in Riverside which I got from the original owner that had it for 44 years, still bone stock , perfect tank and seat still ;)

Back