Pretty Sure I was Scammed--Not Sure How but Fascinating

Sorry to hear you got scammed.
I prefer to always sign for Delivery.
Only had a couple not turn up in 20 years, and one that arrived not working and they said the replacement item was on its way and it never showed. (been real lucky)
Definitely more scammers around now.

Last edited:
Well this story has a happy ending. I was notified last night that PayPal found in my favor and would be refunding my $57 and change. It's less about the money and more about the violation (and humiliation of not catching it before I completed the transaction).

Got an email "from Craigslist" saying that there was an issue with my posting and I would have to re-enter my credit card info. Just for the heck of it, I clicked the link (I have excellent spyware software) and it opened up a credit card input page IDENTICAL to what Craigslist uses. The only clue was the address bar had nothing to do with Craigslist. Just pisses me off, all of these scammers and robo calls from friggin India.
Did your spyware software catch anything, or was the phishing attempt not malware/spyware?

i have had similar instances on ebay sellers from China claiming that a package was delivered, when no package was delivered.
i believe that they desperately want fast shipping to appease the impatient US buyer.
they claim 90% of shipments land in 12 to 18 days, or something similar.
if it goes beyond those terms, the buyer is antsy, and will leave negative feedback if too much time passes between order and receipt .
to combat this, DHL or whoever is shipping bulk drops loads of packages at the USPS to deliver.
at that point the package was technically delivered(but not to you).
USPS takes a few days to process the to delivery to you, at which point you may have taken actual delivery.
it appears that the shippers have vested interest in claiming fast shipping, their data supports it for most cases!

many times recently, i have had USPS state that a package was delivered on like a, monday but didn't get actual delivery until, let's say, wednesday.
I have the daily notification emails from USPS and it's not unusual that letters supposedly in that day's mail show up a day or two later. For whatever reason I only get photos of letters, not packages, even if I go to the USPS site.

it opened up a credit card input page IDENTICAL to what Craigslist uses. The only clue was the address bar had nothing to do with Craigslist. Just pisses me off, all of these scammers and robo calls

Thanks for posting.......... Getting the word out about scams is very important!
Educating the buyer is the best way to fight this BS.
-brino

glad you got it sorted. I didn't have any more problems after I stopped going after deals that looked too good to be true :)

Back