Pretty Sure I was Scammed--Not Sure How but Fascinating

USPS offers a free service where you get photo of everything they are delivering today.

Wife discovered and uses it.

Inform maybe...

It works real well as she received one of 2 packages one day and when she asked about the second one the carrier stated she only had one.

When presented the images for expected delivery the package suddenly showed up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You've said you received tracking information, but from whom? Have you gone directly to USPS website to verify that tracking info, by the tracking number they've shown? There's got to be a way to show it's not valid.
I checked the tracking number that PayPal provided on the USPS website. It says the package was delivered to my porch 2 days before I received the tracking number.

Edit: The tracking info said it was delivered to the porch, not necessarily my porch. There was no address on the tracking info. It seems plausible that the crooks get one valid tracking number for a city, or hack into the USPS system to get tracking numbers by city (seems a little more plausible--hard to imagine that they would make enough money to actually send a package to our city of 80k people and catch enough suckers to make it worthwhile).

Last edited:
USPS offers a free service where you get photo of everything they are delivering today.

Wife discovered and uses it.

Inform maybe...

It works real well as she received one of 2 packages one day and when she asked about the second one the carrier stated she only had one.

When presented the images for expected delivery the package suddenly showed up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I have that service, but it doesn't include packages.

I suspect porch pirates. But, the tracking can be wrong. I once ordered something and it was supposed to be delivered by Fedex. The tracking number said delivered at 2:00 PM, and there was no delivery. I called the vendor, and they told me that I probably live in a bad neighborhood, and they will just refund the money, but only this once. A week later, I received the item. I called the vendor, and I was told "too late, the final decision has been rendered in this matter; it was judged in your favor, so you should just accept the result." I asked what address can I send a check to, and they said "goodbye". I feel a little bad about it, but I still shop with that vendor. No problems since then. I called FedEx, and they said that the tracking information is "advisory" and should not be taken too seriously.
I have a ring camera and checked it. No USPS package delivered on that day.

Last edited:
Prolly someone else's tracking number being reused. The tracking number does not list the actual address.

Depending how big your community is, you could ask your local USPS office if you can talk to the mailman who works your street. If it hasn't been long, I bet he'd remember whether he dropped anything at your door. That said, I'm not sure what you can do with his answer... maybe he can help backtrack the bogus tracking number?

I have signed up for the USPS picture notification several times...never received any notifications.

I do not recieve the picture notifications, I have to go to USPS and look.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong...thought they emailed to me.

You need to be organized. Write out a complete time line starting with when you ordered the item and every communication that you received. Present this info to Paypal. Let Paypal know that you have a video that shows no package was delivered. Notify your credit card company by telephone and keep track of who you talked to. Call your local post office. Or better yet go in with all of your info. The tracking info on the post office side will have the person who delivered the package and the time that it was delivered. Even though they deliver a lot of packages they often remember delivering a package. Keep a copy of your ring camera video. That is your ace in the hole. Be persistent. You will eventually get your money back.

I have been buying things on Ebay for decades and I have never not gotten my money back when things don't go as planned.

Back