Preventing swarf in the house

Wheat.Millington

Registered
Registered
OK this is going to sound like a silly question but here goes - I'm a beginner machinist with my 12x24 lathe in the garage, which is attached to the house. I was not prepared for the amount of chips and swarf I would produce, and need help with strategies for keeping it out of the house. Even when I'm careful, I still seem to end up with chips embedded in the carpet just inside the hallway. Anyone got any tips and tricks for mitigating this?

I get most of the chips off of me with compressed air. At the door, we have a rough mat with deep holes that helps grab stuff stuck in my shoes. You do have to scrape your feet though. Removing them outside is preferable.

Ferrous metal, a sweeping magnet, for aluminum, pray, it regenerates in the places you thought you cleaned well. :)

This is also a big problem for me. Even carefully cleaning and vacuum, they follow my shoe.

One time, I don't recall how many days I didn't go to the machine room, but we went to a wedding. We slept in a hotel and I woke up finding my eye hurt. I rub it and it was worst. I tried blink in water without help.

We then went to the wedding and reception with a sore eye. It becomes really bad at the reception. I was like crying. I tried hard, maybe few hours after I couldn't handle it anymore , I went to a bathroom and pull down my lower eyelid. A thin strand of something probably is metal poke through the surface flat on the sclera. I pulled it out and I fell much better.

This is also a big problem for me. Even carefully cleaning and vacuum, they follow my shoe.

One time, I don't recall how many days I didn't go to the machine room, but we went to a wedding. We slept in a hotel and I woke up finding my eye hurt. I rub it and it was worst. I tried blink in water without help.

We then went to the wedding and reception with a sore eye. It becomes really bad at the reception. I was like crying. I tried hard, maybe few hours after I couldn't handle it anymore , I went to a bathroom and pull down my lower eyelid. A thin strand of something probably is metal poke through the surface flat on the sclera. I pulled it out and I fell much better.
Good god

It's almost impossible to clean clothes and shoes well enough to go into house from machining area. Leave the dedicated shoes in the shop along with the protective apron, or better yet, coveralls.
DanK

Back