Preventing swarf in the house

In the shop I wear safety boots and a coat. Both stay in the shop but there’s still the odd metal chips that seem to make their way into the house! I also have a pair of Crocs at the shop door for those times when I need to walk across the shop to grab a screwdriver or some such tool for a job in the house. Walking across the shop floor in bare feet is guaranteed to end up with metal splinters in the feet.

Like many others here I wear an apron and have shoes that stay in the shop. Along with that I use a magnet on the floor then either sweep it or vacuum it depending on the material being machined. I rarely use air to clean things off. I find it generally moves the swarf and trach to unintended places. I clean the machines down with a chip brush then vacuum them before leaving the shop. If I can't get everything cleaned up in a timely manner, I close the gate to the shop area to keep the dogs from entering.

I have had to come to the shop shoes method and sweeping more frequently (in between tools/parts instead of when done). Also, getting an apron has crossed my mind as I have a bad habit of wiping my hands on my shirt.

I don't know how many times I've found a chip (metal not potato), in my beard. And no, I'm not shaving.

be happy it's not a cabinet shop

My shop is in a separate building. I leave my shop shoes and shop clothes in the shop. I walk to the shop in my house "duds" and slip off my shoes at the shop door. Hang up my house clothes and put on the shop stuff. I don't do any work (insert one-liner here) near the house duds, so they stay chip free.

Try leaving your shop clothes at the machines, shoes too. Might be a chilly walk across your garage to a clean area, but it beats the heck out of the cold shoulder your better half might give you when she finds chips in the carpet.

Bruce

impossible to keep it all out. I have one of those broom type mats. rub it the opposite way and it pulls off most of the stuff. Still I find stuff whereever I walk, especially the bathroom.

Shops shoes . air hose, polyester clothing

Back