Price Check and Inspection Advice - Nardini MS 1432 E

Erlau

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice on a machine that is available locally. It is a Nardini MS 1432 E that according to the seller is in a good condition with minimal use as an engineering/R&D machine (not sure how it was used before this company acquired it). I'd be using it in a home shop and would need to convert it to vfd and single phase (probably requiring a new motor?) which would be another significant cost so I likely won't bite unless I can negotiate the price down.

Questions:
  • From what I have read people seem to like these machines. Any additional input or opinions on the model? I don't anticipate needing to make long parts so the somewhat shorter bed with larger swing is a plus for me.
  • Anything in particular I should be sure to inspect that is unique to this machine?

Other alternatives that I am considering would be the 13" Eisen or PM lathes but the piggybank isn't full enough for those yet.

talvare

Ted A
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I operated a Nardini 13x40 lathe off and on for a few years and it seemed to be a pretty decent machine. The lathe you're looking at appears to be in pretty nice condition just from looking at the photos. But, you would still need to give it a good in-person inspection. That lathe seems to be fairly well equipped with accessories, some of which seem a bit unusual. Certainly looks like it would be worth looking at, and the ad does say "or best offer".
Ted

mksj

Active User
Looks to be a lot of lathe for the price. Check the ways for wear, as well as the cross slide and tool post slide. Check the feeds and half-nut for play see if you can do a skim cut on some stock if it is operational. Check the gear engagement, etc. Looks like a great deal is there if there is not excessive wear. You could run it off of an RPC or do a VFD conversion, I would start off with an RPC and make your own.
Manual.

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
Looks like a great deal with all the goodies it comes with. Not sure if the milling table thingys can be used with the lathe?
If you can get it for a bit less you are stylin'
-M

Erlau

Registered
Registered
Thanks everyone. I'm waiting on a call back from the seller to go see it. I'll let you know how it goes.

If I go the diy rotary phase converter route, where do you guys normally source motors from? eBay, motor repair shop or somewhere else?

talvare

Ted A
If I go the diy rotary phase converter route, where do you guys normally source motors from? eBay, motor repair shop or somewhere else?
I found mine on Craigslist. Bought a 5HP and 10HP Baldor and three magnetic starters from a guy for $200. Sold the 5HP and the mag starters and ended up with a free 10HP motor. There are some reasonable deals out there, just have to be diligent and don't procrastinate when a good deal pops up.

Ted

Erlau

Registered
Registered
I found mine on Craigslist. Bought a 5HP and 10HP Baldor and three magnetic starters from a guy for $200. Sold the 5HP and the mag starters and ended up with a free 10HP motor. There are some reasonable deals out there, just have to be diligent and don't procrastinate when a good deal pops up.

Ted

That's the type of deal I need to find! o_O

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock