Price Check and Inspection Advice - Nardini MS 1432 E

Erlau

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice on a machine that is available locally. It is a Nardini MS 1432 E that according to the seller is in a good condition with minimal use as an engineering/R&D machine (not sure how it was used before this company acquired it). I'd be using it in a home shop and would need to convert it to vfd and single phase (probably requiring a new motor?) which would be another significant cost so I likely won't bite unless I can negotiate the price down.

Questions:
  • From what I have read people seem to like these machines. Any additional input or opinions on the model? I don't anticipate needing to make long parts so the somewhat shorter bed with larger swing is a plus for me.
  • Anything in particular I should be sure to inspect that is unique to this machine?

Other alternatives that I am considering would be the 13" Eisen or PM lathes but the piggybank isn't full enough for those yet.

I operated a Nardini 13x40 lathe off and on for a few years and it seemed to be a pretty decent machine. The lathe you're looking at appears to be in pretty nice condition just from looking at the photos. But, you would still need to give it a good in-person inspection. That lathe seems to be fairly well equipped with accessories, some of which seem a bit unusual. Certainly looks like it would be worth looking at, and the ad does say "or best offer".
Ted

Looks to be a lot of lathe for the price. Check the ways for wear, as well as the cross slide and tool post slide. Check the feeds and half-nut for play see if you can do a skim cut on some stock if it is operational. Check the gear engagement, etc. Looks like a great deal is there if there is not excessive wear. You could run it off of an RPC or do a VFD conversion, I would start off with an RPC and make your own.
Manual.

Looks like a great deal with all the goodies it comes with. Not sure if the milling table thingys can be used with the lathe?
If you can get it for a bit less you are stylin'
-M

Thanks everyone. I'm waiting on a call back from the seller to go see it. I'll let you know how it goes.

If I go the diy rotary phase converter route, where do you guys normally source motors from? eBay, motor repair shop or somewhere else?

If I go the diy rotary phase converter route, where do you guys normally source motors from? eBay, motor repair shop or somewhere else?
I found mine on Craigslist. Bought a 5HP and 10HP Baldor and three magnetic starters from a guy for $200. Sold the 5HP and the mag starters and ended up with a free 10HP motor. There are some reasonable deals out there, just have to be diligent and don't procrastinate when a good deal pops up.

Ted

I found mine on Craigslist. Bought a 5HP and 10HP Baldor and three magnetic starters from a guy for $200. Sold the 5HP and the mag starters and ended up with a free 10HP motor. There are some reasonable deals out there, just have to be diligent and don't procrastinate when a good deal pops up.

Ted

That's the type of deal I need to find! o_O

Back