Print Your Own Way Wipers

wcunning

Registered
Registered
I've just started playing around with this, but I quite like the capabilities so far:

2020-02-10.jpeg

That wiper has a slight downward slope to the front lip to actually wipe. On top of that, it's printed in this TPU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S6MBBHN, which is listed as 98A Shore hardness in the questions on that Amazon page. It's definitely firmer than some of my other flexible filament, so I've been printing pretty fast with it (40mm/s, some retraction, etc). I need to do some tweaking to the model, but I'm quite pleased with the basic design. Next up is new wipers for my lathe...

If you use Onshape, here's the CAD for it:

Cheers,
Will

I like! I thought thermoplastic urethane elastomer was oil absorptive, have you observed any softening?

Very cool!
I am currently in the processes of buying a 3d printer. Have downloaded cura and fusion 360. Been practicing fusion and am getting pretty good. I am really looking forward to adding the capabilities of a printer to my arsenal of tools. I think I am set on purchasing the Evnovo Artillery Sidewinder.

Good stuff keep it coming.

I've used TPU(ninjaflex) for quite a while as an oil seal, seems to hold up well.
Really love the idea of using it as way wipers!

Maybe open the corners up a bit so the 45 degree wiper isn't deformed? Looks great! Will be waiting to hear how they hold up.

Maybe open the corners up a bit so the 45 degree wiper isn't deformed? Looks great! Will be waiting to hear how they hold up.
Already have a new one drawn up for that. I'll be doing a similar thing for the flats on the top of the inverted vees on my lathe as well. It's a constant prototyping process, which is the biggest benefit of the 3D printer.

I had an interesting revelation about this this afternoon -- turns out that once you CAD up the exact way dimensions, it's easy to remove the wiper component (or leave it in) and use that model for a way to attach way covers to keep chips off of the ways. I'll be doing some prototyping for that in the nearer future as well.

I also got an email back from Priline (manufacturer of the filament I used here), and they say that I should be good to use it for oil seals without issue. I think I may print up a cup and fill it with way oil for a while to see what happens. Maybe another one filled with cutting oil too...

Cheers,
Will

Back