Printed Micrometer Tray / Box Insert

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Posting this as it may be of use to someone else.

I recently got a 25-50mm digit mic on eBay, and whilst it came with its original Mitutoyo box, there was no foam insert with it. So I knocked this up to slip inside the box to keep the mic from rattling around. I suppose it would probably fit the inch version (1-2”) of the mic as well with no real fit issues... and it may fit other brand mics of similar dimensions.

STL file is here on thingiverse:

I often encounter the same challenge with eBay precision purchases and had thought about using hand cut foam, then realized my OCD nature would never stand the imperfect nature of the cuts. This solves the problem beautifully!

How much time would you guess the design took you?

To be honest, I don’t remember exactly - but it was definitely less than an hour. It took a lot longer to print than It did to knock up in Fusion 360, slice and export to the printer. Even at only 5% infill :)

So, here’s one for a 0-25mm mic (I guess it will fit 0-1” as well)

And my 50-75mm mic didn’t even have a box, so this is a complete box with lid.

Careful with this one... I haven’t printed it out yet and validated the design. It all works in fusion 360 - but you know how plans go when real life intrudes. ;)

I understand that the foam that Mits used in their boxes breaks down over time and eventually sticks to your instruments.

Any thoughts on the longevity of 3D-printed objects? Are some materials going to cause the same kind of issues? Is there something that we think will last a long time?

Craig

Anything printed from PLA or PETG should be very durable - as durable as pretty much any other plastic item. Won’t stand up to acetone, but most shop oils and solvents should be fine. And PETG is UV stable as well, so no worries about it going brittle.

You may have a niche item here. Try selling some on eBay and see. Just a thought , not everyone owns a printer .

Another day, another micrometer(s)... this time some unusual Moore & Wright direct reading ones, with a mechanical digital readout for the figure after the decimal point reading to 2 1000ths of a mm. Whole units are read from the barrel. Anyway, as usual - no boxes. So more cad work and a few hours on the printer, et voila:

Back