Private Tool Sale August 3rd, Magalia CA.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Not sure where to post this,
Bill is a retired nuclear physicist with lots of tools, machine tools and electronics that I don't understand.
He is trying to avoid a Craigslist type of event so I am trying to help him spread the word in our hobby machinists forum.
Bill's shop is in Magalia, California. If you have questions, please PM me and I will hook you up with his contact information.
I am including a 6 page list of items for sale. Page 1 explains his pricing methods and page 2 is left blank.
Thank you,
Jeff Anderson

Attachments

• Machine Tools.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 301
Must. Resist. Just. Say. No. ;)

Seriously, good stuff, good prices, and a good deed. Wishing you and Bill the best with the sale.

I see my thread has been moved to the correct venue. Thank you!
The few responses I have received confirmed my thoughts when I first saw the list.
The manufacturer needs to be disclosed and some of his prices are way too high.
Maybe the best way to sell off his tools/machine tools is a Craigslist 4 hour Estate sale and mention top quality tools, lathe, milling machine, Mitutoyo, etc.
I feel bad for the older gentleman.

I see my thread has been moved to the correct venue. Thank you!
The few responses I have received confirmed my thoughts when I first saw the list.
The manufacturer needs to be disclosed and some of his prices are way too high.
Maybe the best way to sell off his tools/machine tools is a Craigslist 4 hour Estate sale and mention top quality tools, lathe, milling machine, Mitutoyo, etc.
I feel bad for the older gentleman.
You are doing your best to help at a time of need and he is doing the right thing by taking care of this while he still can. I only wish I was back out in
California and in a position to buy as I would definitely be there. Perhaps you could make an arrangement to get whatever is left over after the sale and offer it to forum members at a price you think is good. It's doubtful he needs top dollar and probably just wants to see things go to people who will use and appreciate them.

He has had a lifetime working with the tools he's accumulated and we all know that is a reward in itself. You are a good friend.

John

I think the machine prices are good, but the individual tool prices are top dollar to almost new price. I think that he would end up sitting on quite a lot of that tooling for a long while at those prices.

You put that in a very clear and understandable way.
I need to share your opinion with Bill so he can rethink this.

his best bet might be to put a package deal together to either go with one of the machines or to a budding machinist/ journeyman. He won't make as much off it, but he will have the satisfaction of knowing the tools are going to someone who'll use them.

The best way to price common tooling is to look it up on eBay and look at the sold listings. That will give an idea of what the items have actually been selling for. Pick a median number and maybe discount is a bit since you're not having to pay eBay to sell it. Doing that for all those items would be a lot of work, though.

Based on your comments and my own thoughts, I had a conversation with Bill last night.
I shared some of the comments from this forum and some from my hobby machinists group.
He understands most folks are looking for a deal and plenty of us already have many items on his list.
After sharing some of the Ebay comparisons selling at a much lower price, he said, I can see that price for a used tool but most of these have never been used.
Even still, how much can a Starrett combination square set go for? You see them all day long on Ebay for very little money.
His $600 plus rotary table is beautiful but who is going to pay that kind of money for an old used 12" rotary table? Plus you would need to be a local buyer due to shipping.
I really tried to help, that's all I can do.
He has sold some of the machine tools though and has a buyer for the lathe and mill.
I would love the lathe if I was retired and had some time.
Thank you for your comments.
NO SALE ON THE 3rd of August

I asked Bill to set aside some items for me.
Even though I wasn’t able to help him find buyers through this forum or the local group I am involved with, he was very gracious and offered me some items at very good prices.
I took another look at his Clausing lathe, it’s really nice. I don’t remember if I mentioned it, the lathe has a new set of bearings, new change gears, steady and follow rest, three and Four jaw chuck.
Please see pics.

Attachments

• E4CDCCB3-4A03-44F6-A26F-AEDE5F184F91.jpeg
    E4CDCCB3-4A03-44F6-A26F-AEDE5F184F91.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 1FDABAA2-B107-4718-9478-A29B29976465.jpeg
    1FDABAA2-B107-4718-9478-A29B29976465.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 134
  • AE4E816D-D925-4C7F-99E8-AD38033AD3C1.jpeg
    AE4E816D-D925-4C7F-99E8-AD38033AD3C1.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 2C8D7DF1-B85E-4CBE-84F8-8F884D711EE9.jpeg