Probably shouldn't have...

Ray C

Registered
Registered
Probably should not have purchased these mics but, they were calling to me. Besides... For years now, I've been using my Father's and Uncles mics which are Starrett and Mitutoyo. My first mic (father gave me when I was 11 years old and still use it regularly) was a Scherr-Tumico. I've since picked up a S-T 1-2" mic a few years ago and like it a lot. Well, I saw these two items and it looks like I'm starting a new tradition (perhaps a little late in life). I hope they get here safe & sound. Both are New/Old stock.

Until now, I never owned caliper mics in the 6-9" range because I don't do much work out there. Given that, I thought a combo set would be just fine. I have a 3, 4, 5" set from Shars and they're pretty good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162773258189

Here's a new/old S-T 1 incher that I'll use to preserve my two cherished ones. Those will be reserved for use over by "the judgment table" instead of floating around the shop.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112678233297

Funny thing... A couple years ago, I pretty-much gave up on dial calipers. I have a couple nice ones but even for quick measurements, found myself following-up and verifying with a real mic.

Merry Christmas...

Ray C.

I put away my good dial calipers, in favor of cheap digitals (with mikes for critical work)!

I’m just the opposite I use my dial calipers all the time for things. Of course I use a Starrett pair that are trouble free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of those large print 3-way electronic calipers. I've found that I have to keep a pack of batteries beside it. I bought some dollar store batteries, they were one use only. opps. The three way is handy when you have a" what rough size is it?" question, metric , imperial, or a common fraction size. But when it comes to measuring something, I seem to get better readings with a dial caliper. I've had it 27 years . The Chinese can do good stuff, I like them better than my Starrett dial calipers.

Since my lathe is a 12x24 , it seemed to me I "needed" 0-12" mikes. The 6-12 is an old Lufkin. At that size, it was almost never used. I'm working my way up to 300mm, I'm at 125mm

Back