Problem removing arbor on Criterion boring head

The R8 1 in collet would be too fragile, I would assume for a 3 in boring head.
Not so sure about that, but it might be an issue. The collet is well supported by the spindle in the nose area, not at all beyond that until the drawbar end.

Well got it off finally. Resorted to grinding a flat on each side of the 1" shank and using the vice, but it took careful torch heating to 500 deg f to loosen up the red Loctite. I only heated up the main body, not the moving parts. A good whack with dead blow hammer and it spun around.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

John
IMG_0151.jpg

I can't imagine why anyone would locktite that together. I certainly would not.

I can't imagine why anyone would locktite that together. I certainly would not.
To keep it from unscrewing when turning it in the opposite direction. There are probably better ideas, but is worked for the previous owner...

To keep it from unscrewing when turning it in the opposite direction. There are probably better ideas, but is worked for the previous owner...

I guess if you had to lock it, a set screw on a flat would be a better choice. I don't recall ever having to run a boring head backwards, but I guess you might need to if you were cutting on the OD of something.

I guess if you had to lock it, a set screw on a flat would be a better choice. I don't recall ever having to run a boring head backwards, but I guess you might need to if you were cutting on the OD of something.
If all, most, or many of your boring bars are right hand...

Back