Problem with pm932m quickly resolved by Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read above posts that was the first thing tried

Yep looks like you ruled out all the other possibilities, it must be the spindle taper. I'd call PM and insist on speaking to Matt directly.

My PM-932 pdf doesn’t even have a collet screw. I had to make a new drawbar from a piece of 1144 and single point the threads so it's like glass threading the collet. I can’t remember if the mill ever had a collet screw in the spindle. Where do you look to find the screw? I have never seen it.
CH

I own the 835s and while I haven’t had any of the problems described above. I did do a quick inspection of the machine to the extent I could with this neat little tool from Harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-62359.html

I was able to check in the spindle and see that the collet screw was just in enough to allow the collet to slide in. this is a neat little tool if you want to check in an area that you cannot normally access. Yes, it’s about 75 bucks, but it come in real handy

The other thing we noticed was odd was when tightening the draw bar it was binding up on something. you could pull the draw bar from the machine and screw it into a collet silky smooth. But the second you put them both in the machine it would bind up some like when there's grit or a dinged up thread which lead us to chasing all the threads running taps in the collets cleaning etc. running the draw bar back and forth in the collet with drill and socket and lots of oil so it was super smooth screwing together then once back in the machine it would bind up again lol it was infuriating I had my friend and my helper do it to make sure I wasn't trippen

My PM-932 pdf don’t even have a collet screw. I had to make a new drawbar from a piece of 1144 and sigle point the threads so it like glass threading the collect. I can’t rember if the mill ever had a collet screw in the spindle. Where do you look to find the screw? I have never seen it.
CH
the collet stop screw is just a dog point set screw it you've never seen one it's just a set screw that's turned down on the end to fit in a slot etc. if your taper is correct it's like most machine tools and not needed because it's held tight by the taper itself. if it's a lil loose it keeps the collet from spinning for just a second until it engages the taper if you go to the online manual there's a page on its location and how to adjust it

If you blued a known good collet and only got a pencil line of contact that's your problem. That's why the set screw sheared. All torque was on the screw a pencil line of contact on a taper will not hold. The taper in the spindle needs to be ground to the correct taper. Maybe a reamer did you say it's a r8?

As for your drawbar if they go together good off the machine. Then "bind" while trying to use in machine. First when you pull the drawbar out is their crude on the thread? Check alignment of drawbar centerline?

Reactions: HMF
Bent drawbar maybe? Might explain why the drawbar and collets screw smoothly together out of the machine but bind up when in the machine.

Bent drawbar would be easy to check. Just roll on a flat surface see if it wobbles. Their can be a little but should be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back