Problem with R8 collets tightening properly

Canus

Registered
Registered
I am having problems with several of my R8 collets tightening properly. I've checked the threads on the collets and the drawbar and all are OK. After looking closely at the problem collets it appears the three slots which allow the collets to close are possibly not cut correctly. I will try to attach a drawing of what I am seeing.collet.JPG

looks like they have burs. What brand ? And where did you get them?

looks like they have burs. What brand ? And where did you get them?
Bought them from one of the many dealers on Ebay. Don't remember which one. Just looked at a similar ad on Ebay and their picture shows identical lips. What is confusing is I can't figure how the slots were cut that left this lip. Also the lip runs the full length of the slot.

Slide a thin plastic card or a strip of thin metal through the slots and see if it slides easily or catches on the burrs, blow compressed air through all of the collects, a lot of collets sold on ebay suffer from bad machining and some are packaged and sent with the burr still in them .
The only ebay seller I trust for selling better quality (Chinese) ER collets is TPAC tools.
https://www.tpactools.com/message.asp?msg=49

steal your wife's/girlfriend emory board finger nail file and clean them up.

I have a set of diamond files that has a thin flat file that would clean them right up.

Have you ever considered that a manufacturing process may come up a bit short on an operation such as slotting such a part?

A portion of the higher cost of a "brand name" product is inspection which rejects the nonconforming parts during manufacture.

You will find far fewer failures with Hardinge collets with the drawback that they cost 4 times more then the lowest possible price available from others. One may purchase a 1/16" "set of 8 for less

For your peace of mind buy some, you will not be dissapointed
https://www.shophardinge.com/productGrid.aspx?catID=11532

A diamond coated "credit card" would make short work of it.
Found a picture on Ebay of a set similar to mine. Notice the 1/8", 1/4" & 3/8" collets. Will probably have to use a dremel with a cutoff disk to clean mine up.
collets.JPG

Back