Problems with Autodarkening

If you're getting flashed ,that helmet is not going to get any better and since you can not predict when is going to happen, I would say return the helmet and get a better one, PA has a very good return policy .

You didn't say what welder this was happening with. I found that the cheap helmets operate in response to flickering infared light. TIG running on DC can be a very smooth arc - little or no flicker. I had mine go 'clear' several times while TIG welding. I added an incandescent bulb in the welding booth that was turned on by a current sensor I had made to control gas flow. That fixed it. My current helmet uses several different triggers and doesn't have that problem.

If you're getting flashed ,that helmet is not going to get any better and since you can not predict when is going to happen, I would say return the helmet and get a better one, PA has a very good return policy .
That's were I am leaning Ken.
PA has always been very good about returns.

You didn't say what welder this was happening with. I found that the cheap helmets operate in response to flickering infared light. TIG running on DC can be a very smooth arc - little or no flicker. I had mine go 'clear' several times while TIG welding. I added an incandescent bulb in the welding booth that was turned on by a current sensor I had made to control gas flow. That fixed it. My current helmet uses several different triggers and doesn't have that problem.

Thanks Mike. Out of curiosity, what helmet did you eventually go with?

I don't know what brand my auto darkening lens is. It's an insert that fits into a regular helmet. I can't find any adjustments on it but I remember when I bought it the guy said it will automatically darken to the correct shade when you start welding. Mostly it's ok I have never had flash from it and it's fine with stick welding and ok with MIG at higher currents but when I turn down the MIG for thin sections it appears to be too dark, and I find it hard to see what I'm doing.

Getting older so I always use some cheater mag lenses in my Lincoln helmet. 2.5
Made a big difference when TIG welding.

I wouldn't trust those no-name helmets for low amp TIG. I have a cheapo Harbor Freight auto dark, and it has been flaky. For low amp TIG, I use the poor man's auto dark: a high intensity light.

I use the low end miller auto darkening helmet after flashing myself silly with a cheap eBay knockoff

By low end I mean their entry level line. Works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a pretty nice helmet from lowes hat worked well when mig welding. I bought a new tig welder that offered very low amperage welding and kept getting flashed. I tried everything without finding a fix... finally broke down and bought a lincoln 3350 and have had no issues whatsoever. No flashing even tig welding at the lowest amperage's. It wasn't very much more than what you stated you paid for the one you bought. I really like the large viewing glass and great color. Personally I'd return it and buy a Lincoln , Jackson or Miller model that has a reputation as solid performer.

Back