Problems with brand new 1440e-lb cross feed and taper attachment

Negev

n/a
Registered
I purchased this lathe brand new just recently and I'm having problems with the cross feed. It will not under any
circumstances engage. I have tried pretty much everything under the sun to get it to work here are some pics and I'm
Praying that maybe someone out there has had this same issue. In the first picture you can see the gear is worn a bit
on the first 1/8th of an inch of the gear. That's were the big gear inside the carriage picture 2 is just bumping against it. The gear in the first picture
measures 1.164 to 1.176 round if someone out there has put these taper attachment parts on a 1440e-lb and has had the same problems or if possibly
someone can pull there cross feed dial out of there carriage and mic the gear for me to make sure its the right size I would be grateful beyond words because other then that I'm at a total
loss. Thanks for any help that anyone can give me in advance...

20140819_175943.jpg20140819_180049.jpg

Negev

20140819_175943.jpg 20140819_180049.jpg

Sorry you are having issues with our PM1440. Have you tried getting in touch with Matt and getting his input/feedback? I would be really surprised if he didn't make an attempt to address this.

As far as the gear, by looking at the first picture does the gear run idle in the machined groove and then engage into the splines by sliding outward into the splines? If so, it looks like there may be some small burrs or sharp edges which may be causing the splines to not mesh.

Sorry I can't be much more help.

Mike.

Yea i contacted Matt about it already hes going to contact the manufacture i just figured i would put it out here and maybe someone could help.
Buy looking on the inside of the carriage and inspecting everything theirs a lot of slop in the shaft. This isn't going to be an ez fix i think. Thanks anyway for replying.

Last edited:
No problem. Would you please post up your findings afterwards just in case someone else has a similar issue down the road?

Thank you.

Mike.

I purchased this lathe brand new just recently and I'm having problems with the cross feed. It will not under any circumstances engage.

That does not provide enough description of the problem, and can be interpreted a number of ways:
1. Manual cross-feed hand wheel is stuck and won't turn
2. Manual cross-feed hand wheel turns freely and the cross-slide does not move
3. Feed selection lever for power cross-feed will not shift into the correct position
4. Feed selection lever for cross-feed can be pushed to the right position, but the power feed does not move the cross slide.

A few things:
1. It is tough to tell what the picture is, since you have zoomed in so much I can't tell what part of the lathe you disassembled. Zoom out a bit on the next picture. Not knowing which components you took the pictures of makes it hard to trouble shoot.
In the first picture you can see the gear is worn a bit on the first 1/8th of an inch of the gear. That's were the big gear inside the carriage picture 2 is just bumping against it.
I don't think that is your problem at all. It is supposed to look like that, the relief is cut into that gear on purpose, it is not "worn a bit". I believe that is similar to Part Number 667 in the diagram below. That gear engages the power feed drive gear when you shift the position of the power feed gear with the gear selector lever.

2. I am guessing you took off the cross feed hand wheel? That makes me think that you can't move the cross slide with the hand wheel? There is no "engaging the hand wheel"; it is always engaged. Does the hand wheel turn freely with no cross slide motion? Or are you unable to turn the hand wheel at all?

3. Assuming the problem is not with manual feed but with power feed: Are you unable to push the feed selection lever down to engage cross feed (after sliding to the left)? Cross feed frequently won't engage because the gears aren't lined up. In my experience, it won't engage maybe 1/3 of the time. rotating the cross feed hand wheel slightly while pulling the engagement lever solves this problem. Longitudinal feed does the same thing (although doesn't seem to occur as often).

Buy looking on the inside of the carriage and inspecting everything theirs a lot of slop in the shaft.
Your talking about the shaft in the picture poking out of the hole where your cross-slide hand wheel goes? That is the forward end of the lead screw (Part Number 628V2 below).

It has slop because you just took off the thrust bearing (Part Number 673 below) that supports the lead screw (it is housed in the fixture, PN 607V2, that you unbolted from the apron). Without it in place, the shaft will be unconstrained and will be "sloppy". With the thrust bearing off, the only thing supporting the leads crew is the leads crew nut bolted onto the cross slide (Part Number 636V2). The picture below is a higher end lathe, and it has rear bearings supporting the leads crew, but I bet yours doesn't (my Grizzly 0709G 14x40 doesn't either).

This diagram is for general reference (it is NOT your lathe, but the same general arrangement is on your lathe):
GRIZZLY_G9036_CROSS_SLIDE.png

Provide a bit more data, and we might be able to diagnose/fix your problem. For reference purposes, here is a picture from the Grizzly G4003G manual.
Grizzly_G4003g_Apron.png

Grizzly_G4003g_Apron.png GRIZZLY_G9036_CROSS_SLIDE.png

Last edited:
Broken-machinery2.jpg
Imagine having this in your shop and not being able to use it.
It's like Christmas without presents at 8 years old

20140821_202039.jpg
:anyone:
20140821_202116.jpg

20140821_202039.jpg 20140821_202116.jpg Broken-machinery2.jpg

Last edited:
Answer my questions, and we will get your problem solved in short order.

Which if these scenarios described your problem?
1. Manual cross-feed hand wheel is stuck and won't turn
2. Manual cross-feed hand wheel turns freely and the cross-slide does not move
3. Feed selection lever for power cross-feed will not shift into the correct position
4. Feed selection lever for cross-feed can be pushed to the right position, but the power feed does not move the cross slide.

Once I know which problem to diagnose, I can help narrow it down.

Assuming your problem is #1, you might need to buy another lathe to fix your current one.
:thinking:
  • If this is your problem, do me a favor and measure the thickness of the big drive gear inside the apron with a caliper or a micrometer, and than measure the width of the relief cut in that gear in the first picture.
  • The relief is there so the power feed won't engage the cross feed hand wheel shaft unless the feed selector lever is selected to cross-feed.
  • If the relief is not at least as wide as that big drive gear, than you will not be able to manually operate the cross slide. If the relief is not wide enough, than you could cut to relief widerwith a lathe (but of course your lathe won't work until this is fixed).
  • ​With the cross slide hand wheel reinstalled, you should be able to manually slide that big drive gear in and out to engage either the longitudinal feed or cross feed. Try sliding it manually in enough to allow the cross feed hand wheel to turn.

Please let me know what these measurements are.

btw, I have the Grizzly G0709G, which is very similar (different QCGB arrangement).

Last edited:
Well here is what everyone has been waiting for a slight end to this nightmare
well on Friday i went out on my porch and behold Santa clause (UPS) dropped a
package on my porch. I open it up and Matt had sent me another lead screw and
dial for my machine. In this picture its the back one. The one in the front is for the
taper attachment.

20140822_132949.jpg

20140822_133000.jpg

Well the picture above will show you the exact way i received the new lead screw.
And what started this whole nightmare. Keep in mind that bearing at the end of the
thread in this picture that's what screwed me all up. The next picture in the manual
says a lot more then what you see here.

screenshot-d27ewrs9ow50op cloudfront net 2014-08-22 23-45-35.jpg

Don't follow the manual its not even close. The manual calls for parts in the lead screw that don't
even exist. part numbers 619 (cover) and 625 (screws) aren't even used. And there are parts that
I have that aren't even in this diagram that are on the lead screw in places they don't belong according to
the manual. So here i am trying to figure this whole thing out going buy the diagram and I'm thinking its pointless. I'm
missing parts and i have to many parts its driving me crazy so i went to bed and slept on it. Well this morning i had a eureka moment
so i went down to the machine and took another crack at it. Here's what i figured out.

That bearing that i told you to keep in mind at the beginning of this nightmare didn't belong at the
end of the lead screw. It belongs in this picture below along with the spacer that the manual doesn't show.
And if you were paying attention to the picture in the beginning there were two bearings and the two of them
had different inside diameters.
20140824_004705.jpg

I'm sorry i didn't take a picture of the correct one but this is the dial portion
of the taper attachment (below) its pretty much the same but you can see were the
other bearing goes on this one the manual is actually right about this part.

20140824_002952.jpg

So when i put this all together it worked like a champ but then i ran into a few more
problems. Missing parts. Spring and ball for the dial. Well you say lets go over to the taper
attachment dial and get those parts.

Original dial for machine below

20140824_003429.jpg

Taper attachment dial below

20140824_003035.jpg

If you can get the spring and ball out of it without damaging the thing ill buy yea a beer.

Then i needed the key to be able to manually rotate the lead screw lets try the taper attachment parts again.
Below is a picture the bottom lead screw is the original for the machine notice how small the key way is.

20140823_234641.jpg

And below is a picture of the taper attachment dial and notice its key way way to large.
So I'm out of options now.

20140824_002952.jpg

So on Monday i have to call Matt again and talk to him about getting these parts and figure out what to do about the taper attachment.
I have had one more problem spring up on me as i was walking around the back of the machine i notice this!!!

20140824_005659.jpg

I just hope this isn't going to be a problem child...

20140822_132949.jpg 20140822_133000.jpg screenshot-d27ewrs9ow50op cloudfront net 2014-08-22 23-45-35.jpg 20140824_004705.jpg 20140824_002952.jpg 20140824_003429.jpg 20140824_003035.jpg 20140823_234641.jpg 20140824_005659.jpg

Last edited:
Back