Profile Milling with Acu-Rite MillPWR G2 3-Axis

Mercedes107

Registered
Registered
I have access to a Bridgeport style mill equipt with Acu-Rite MillPWR G2 3-Axis. The part Shown in the picture was made on this machine. It is a custom manifold for an automotive AC compressor. All of the machining on this part was performed using CNC except the one small corner shown in the picture. That part was done by lets call it a crude CNC where I increased the radius and moved down manually in 2mm increments, while using the CNC to move the quill in an ark.

I cant figure out how to program the system to do this automatically. I believe since it is a 3 axis system it should be able to do this. There seems to be nothing available on the caned programming tools but I'm wondering if I could get it to work if I imported a gcode program. And since I don't know gcode where is a good place to start.IMG_20200327_172455939.jpg

Very nice, I saw what you were trying to do in the other thread and it's great to see the results. I'm trying to learn FreeCad which can produce g-code files but I'm sure others will have better input.

Cheers,

John

I dont think that you could do that programming just from the controller. The G2 will run .NC and .G files, and can perform the simoultaneous 3 axis contouring. You will need to write the program on some offline software and translate it to NC or G to be able to do that.

Jon

I dont think that you could do that programming just from the controller. The G2 will run .NC and .G files, and can perform the simoultaneous 3 axis contouring. You will need to write the program on some offline software and translate it to NC or G to be able to do that.

Jon

Thanks for the input.

Sound like I need a program like Mastercam. Cha Ching $4000. Any home grown alternatives??

I found this. I explains the G code. It looks like something I can write in a text editor. I might try making this part in plastic and then move on to 3D profiles. I still will need a lot of research especially in setting tool heights.

Fusion 360 is still free to hobbyists. Titan has a good online course.

For that cut, using the trace function might make the most sense.

Last edited:
LinuxCNC is FOSS - Free and open source software

Fusion 360 is still free to hobbyists. Titan has a good online course.

For that cut, using the trace function might make the most sense.

Thanks

I just down loaded it. I will try it out for the moment. I will be looking into getting a student version of Solid Works, hopefully that will have it as well. I generally like to stay away from subscription software, but I think its going to be the way of the future.

Thanks
I only saw a Linux version at the web sight is there a windows version?

Sorry, I'm using LinuxCNC as a machine controller which I don't think you need. For design and converting to g-code you can use FreeCad which does have a Windows version.

Although why people are still using Windows is beyond me ;)

John

Sorry, I'm using LinuxCNC as a machine controller which I don't think you need. For design and converting to g-code you can use FreeCad which does have a Windows version.

Although why people are still using Windows is beyond me ;)

John

For the machine I have access to, I wont need a controller, just a good means to write the G-Code.
I use Windows mostly because industry uses windows. I dabbled in Linux and OS2. There great but I found bringing work home was never quite seamless. And then when your wife wants to use your computer?

If I ever go down the path of converting my manual mill to CNC, I may dabble in Linux again. It would be great as a dedicated controller.

Free Cad was another one I was looking to try.

Thanks John

Back