Programming VFD for mill

dado5

Registered
Registered
I have my excel 602 mill set up with my vfd which is working great but the default programming allows the motor to ramp up and down fairly slowly. Is this necessary? I was trying to power tap yesterday and was having to try to time when the spindle would stop as it ramps down. Would be a lot easier if it just stopped rather quickly. Is it bad for the motor to stop/start quicker? I know how to program it to do so, just don't want to ruin anything.

3ph motors are made to be instant on and off so the motor should have no problems being used as such. The ramp up on start does signifigantly reduce the starting current. If you turn the ramp up time to zero I would expect a much higher starting current. The motor is wound to handle the needed starting current. A ramp down time of zero should not be a problem either. Most VFDs I have worked with have a braking feature that will slow the motor down faster than just cutting the current. They usually require a braking resistor to squelch the current generated by the motor while it is free running after the power to the motor has been cut.

Last edited:
Back