Project Atlas draw bar

griminspector

Former Member
I recently got my hands on a Atlas MFC horizontal milling machine, but it came with a makeshift drawbar. So since im going to be making a new one for its restoration, I'd thought I'd make a copy of the original. I did a bit of research and joined hobby-machinist looking for a print or basic dimensions... I was able to find all the information I needed to make a copy of the Atlas MI-576. I've made my own cad drawing, picked up material, and got to work with my emco compact 5. Since I joined this forum, I figured I should share my projects progress here. Currently I have finished the ruffing and first turning op along with the threading of the 3/8-16 THD. Next op will be brining it to finial OAL, then first part milling with the Atlas cutting the 3/8 square wrench flats....16237156126278691142203060192422.jpg1623715643897882548057428677614.jpg

Last edited:
We have, in DOWNLOADS, a cleaned up PDF of the original Draw Bar drawing and have a copy of the original TIF scan. As well as of the factory drawings of many other parts and accessories of mill parts, lathe parts and a very few shaper parts.

One minor correction that I will make is to one of the most common errors that people tend to make when dealing with the Atlas mill. The second character in the model number of the original basic manual cross-feed model (and of the parts thereof) is the numeral "1", not the upper-case I. So M1 instead of MI. This is a common error many make, possibly caused by the font that the Atlas drafting department was using in the 1930's and 1940's

We have, in DOWNLOADS, a cleaned up PDF of the original Draw Bar drawing and have a copy of the original TIF scan. As well as of the factory drawings of many other parts and accessories of mill parts, lathe parts and a very few shaper parts.

One minor correction that I will make is to one of the most common errors that people tend to make when dealing with the Atlas mill. The second character in the model number of the original basic manual cross-feed model (and of the parts thereof) is the numeral "1", not the upper-case I. So M1 instead of MI. This is a common error many make, possibly caused by the font that the Atlas drafting department was using in the 1930's and 1940's
Thank you for the clarification on the M1 vs MI situation.. I had not found any information conferming 1 over I till now. I was playing it safe.

Also I've tried to find the actual factory prints with no luck. I cobbled the dimensions together using drawings in forum post and You tube videos where I could see parts of the original print.... even now after searching your downloads using keywords atlas, M1, M1-576, and draw bar, I get no resaults. Forgive this old hand wheel turner. I must be interneting wrong. Any pointers on how to find them prints would be appreciated...

I do plan on making more parts, after the draw bar. I'm going to start working on the M1-567 arbor driver next.16237168899606003957363655994946.jpg

Last edited:
The factory drawings for the arbor driver and the face mill driver are also in Downloads. So there is no good reason for anyone to spend their time trying to make drawings.

I will add that access to Downloads requires Donor status (any level). Because maintaining the site costs us a fair amount each month, of which the space required by the files in Downloads is a part of. So far, the income from donations plus the income from AdSense seem to be covering the monthly expenses. But it takes both. And in case anyone missed it, Donors don't see ads.

It's nice to know that you've locked acces to prints behind a pay wall along with as a non paid member I still can't even see what I could buy again because it's locked behind a pay wall. Hers some advice, for me to want to pay for access I'd need to be able to see and find said prints on your site. Also I can get the prints from many scorces becides the internet, including the library of congress. What you should do is not lock knowledge behind a pay wall and truly build a community of knowledge before its lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure whether you are complaining about the donor requirement for access to downloads or to be able to sell something on the site. But in the first case, the storage space for storing the files in Downloads is a significant part of what it costs each month just to keep the H-M site open and someone has to pay it. Or in the selling case, anyone selling something is hoping to make money at it so needs to help keep the site running.
Besides, anyone who can't afford $10 or $25 a year can't afford the hobby to begin with.

In any case, this has nothing to do with a drawbar, so it is off topic here. If you want to go elsewhere, then go.

I'm complaining about I still have no clue where I can find the location of supposed files on your forums/websight. From what I gather from your sales pitch, I can't see where I could even download them from till I pay to get behind ypur pay wall. It's a shifty and ****ty business model. Also using my thread to continuisily promote said pay wall is conuterproducive to sharing information and permoting a dieing skill/trade/vocation/hobbi....... im really just curious how close I got! Other than that. There are better places to get my information like Tubalcain on ypu tub, and Keith Ruckers website where I can atleast find such files.

As for selling... no was just trying add to ypur forums and share my projects progress. Your the one that has turned me off to your forums and community. I have no interest in being a part of it any longer. If you had a better website maybe I could have found said files in the first place......?

My wow might have been misunderstood. People on this site will and have helped anyone with any questions asked. Doesn’t matter what question someone will know the solution. He was informing you prints were on site. Small donation gives access. My 2 cents.

Back