Project Bike Repair Stand (picture Heavy)

T

TOOLMASTER

Forum Guest
Register Today
So after hauling and spreading 60 bags of mulch, I was all ready for my nap but noooooo....

the park bike clamp arm I bought used arrived a day early....soooooooo..the the plan is to incorporate it in with speed rail fittings. but of course the arm doesn't have the right dimensions..now the fun part begins..:congratulate:..

first disassembly and a little grinding the hard edges and sandblast

IMG_9406.JPG
IMG_9407.JPG

now since schedule 40 1 1/2" pipe had a different id than the factory arm it needs some trimming. it is a big solid bar so no problem there....(it will work with 2" but everything I have uses with 1 1/2")

IMG_9411.JPG

now on to the mount. grabbed a 5 1/4" piece of 1 1/2 aluminum pipe and milled a slot for the locking mechanism.

IMG_9412.JPG

cut a 4" piece of 1" 1/8" wall for the holder and band sawed a curve. not to worried about fit since Can weld any gap.

IMG_9413.JPG

got that welded up...hit the inside with a die grinder to clear both paths...

IMG_9415.JPG

IMG_9418.JPG

now to make the locks...two brass rods about 2" long..one with thru hole one 3/8 16 tapped. then a bevel on the inside ends

IMG_9419.JPG

IMG_9426.JPG

unlike the factory ones that can fall out when not locked I made mine so the bolt for the lock keeps the arm in place...so back on the lathe to get just enough depth on the bolt groove.

IMG_9420.JPG

now a delrin back bushing to support the arm tang....3/4 drilled...cut to fit 1 1/2 pipe with a bit of a flange..just because..

IMG_9421.JPG

IMG_9422.JPG

pressed in .006 tight fit

IMG_9423.JPG

assembled....have an orange adjustable handle coming from mc master for the lock :)

IMG_9424.JPG

slips right into my 1 1/2 grip rail fitting.. this allows me to mount it just about anywhere ..oh new pads for the clamp should be here soon too..

IMG_9425.JPG

arm $55 inc ship
new pads $10
3 hours machining welding
pipe and fitting i have

Last edited by a moderator:
So i guess i'll be the first to ask.... uh.... what is that thing?
Nice job. Good pics. Cool mod.
I just have no idea what it does.

Wrat

i filled the bottom legs with scrap brass and lead smothered in construction epoxy.

I got the park tool tray for it...coincidentally it fit the main tube perfectly...even i was surprised

adding some red parts to my daughters ride.

FullSizeRender 51.jpg FullSizeRender 52.jpg

they also charge an arm and leg for stands..

and lot of it is not made in usa....

Just an arm and a leg?? You're getting a sweet deal! :congratulate:

Back