• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Project - Fxd Dyna Super Glide

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Micke S

Active User
This is not the best forum for bike projects but today I fetched a Harley as a new project and I mention it since I've shown a few other of my bikes before. Old 2-wheelers are almost always the base for my projects. There are a few things that must be done before this bike is used like repairing the broken fender and some other minor work.
Then it will be personalized, when I've decided how it should look when finished.

8958604017.jpg

ogberi

Active User
Is the front fender supposed to be like that? I have a super wide glide ('97), and I recall the front fender comes much further down. Fun bike, but mine lunched the cam bearing and it's been down for over a year. :/ Don't ask.

Micke S

Active User
The front fender is broken or cut by the previous owner. It looks quite ugly :(. I got the rear half with the bike so the fender will be restored to original.
Sorry to hear about the cam bearing. Is this a common fault on the EVO engine? It may be a good idea to keep the idle on a reasonable level and not too low (to maintain oil pressure).

Micke S

Active User
Front fender fixed, new seat, new license plate and the foot pegs are relocated.

ogberi

Active User
Curious why you relocated the footpegs. mine are in the forward position, and I find them very comfy.

Micke S

Active User
The reason is I like active driving and it is much easier to control a cornering bike at speed with centered foot pegs and it is comfier to ride for me. People with long legs may find it better with forward pegs. I'm 5 feet 9.

Last edited:

ogberi

Active User
5'5", used to dirtbike like a fiend. got all that out of my system, now I prefer just to cruise sedately and enjoy the ride. After several (too many) bad dirtbike crashes, I prefer not to try to attract Murphy's attention. That jerk causes me enough grief as-is.

Micke S

Active User
I prefer not to try to attract Murphy's attention. That jerk causes me enough grief as-is.
Good decision ! I have only crashed once. So far...That was on a racetrack with a Gixxer 1000. I still have some pain in the right shoulder after 11 years, and need to swim from time to time when the shoulder begins to hurt. It helps well though.

ogberi

Active User
All while riding dirtbikes:

Dislocated my left shoulder in midair, re-located it when I slammed facefirst into the ground. Torn rotator cuff.
Broke two ribs (about 3-4" from my spine,) and my left thumb when I high-sided over a berm.
Concussion, wrenched back, torn right rotator cuff when I wiped out going uphill at about 50mph.
Concussion, buggered up left knee, broken finger (right ring finger), badly split lip when I wiped out setting up to rail through a turn.
On the same hill. Going into the same turn. No... I didn't learn.
Launched the bike like a ballistic missile once. Beautiful runup, 5th gear wide open. Beautiful launch, beautiful flight (I *LOVE* slow-motion tabletops), beautiful landing.
Wiped out turning around, lost 4 teeth outright, broke 2 off, chipped several more. Ended up with a full upper denture from that 'incident.' Embarrassing. And really expensive.

Worst idea ever - Taking my buddy up on a bet that I couldn't get that hopped-up, over-bored, already-insanely-fast YZ125 to run on nitromethane...

That Guy

Swarf
Registered Member
I'm a big fan of the Dyna and own a 2007 Super Glide. It's all stock except for the highway pegs, low handle bars and Works Performance suspension.

Stock exhaust, intake, cams etc. And it will run forever because of that!

I too like the mid-set foot controls. I had gotten my road race license back in 1992 and learned how to ride a bike safely at speed. The highway pegs are great when I need to stretch out a bit, but the mid controls, as stated earlier, are much better for handing the bike.

Micke S

Active User
The starter motor on the bike was replaced by the previous owner but I got the old one with the bike. The plan was to make a complete renovation to have it as a spare. But it was completely okay except for the solenoid high current switch that was burnt and needs to be fixed. DSC04999.JPG
DSC05000.JPG
DSC05004.JPG
DSC05005.JPG
DSC05006.JPG
DSC05007.JPG
DSC05008.JPG
DSC05013.JPG
DSC05014.JPG
DSC05015.JPG

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice save on the starter Micke. I've done that same basic repair on many different solenoids. Mike

Micke S

Active User
very nice ride have you changed the cam bearing yet
No, are they prone to fail?

Edit: I searched around on the Internet and there are lots of reports about failed came bearings. It is said to be caused by Harley begun to use a cheaper inner cam bearing on the EVO engine, with fewer rollers, and the solution is to replace the weak INA bearing with the stronger Torrington bearing having a full roller set.

I guess it would be wise to remove the camshaft and inspect it, and replace the cam bearing as a preventive measure. The cost is negligible compared to a full engine rebuild, which can be the result if the stock bearing fails. It may of course also already have been replaced earlier since it seems to have been a hype to do this when the cam bearing weakness became well known during the 90's.

Thanks for pointing this out, I wasn't aware of this :encourage:

Last edited:

utterstan

I have a 91 and I changed the bearing cam lifters and push rods it seems to be 70000kms is the number that they crap out

Micke S

Active User
The mileage according to the odometer is 48000 km if I recall correct. It appears to be honest but one never know... the bike is a 97 and runs fine with a good punch and no distracting engine noise.
I think I leave it as is this season, I don't have any long trips planned for this summer. Maybe a trip to Norway mountains over an extended weekend but such journey will only be about 2000 km's in total and all fluids are new.

Micke S

Active User
I remembered wrong, the mileage is 38000 km. I took a ride today in the nice weather :)
20160426.jpg

utterstan

your good for at 60000 maybe it has already been done.anyway keep the shiney side up

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
In my experience the Evo's are pretty bullet proof. I've heard of the cam bearing issue, but never ran across it myself. I have changed a few when switching out cams and valve trains for performance upgrades. Having a blind hole puller makes it a quick job. Mike

Micke S

Active User
The bike has got a few upgrades. Progressive fork springs, adjustable shocks and a better front brake. The brake disc is 320 mm instead of 290 mm and is a floating disc. The caliper is 4 pot instead of stock 2-pot.
DSC05647.JPG

coherent

Great job on the bike project. I had an 05 Dyna and had a blast with it. Just bought a new EG Ultra Classic Low last month which is nice, but heavy. I miss the nibleness of the Dyna, but my wife says she much prefers the comfort of the "barcalounger" touring setup better than my Dyna seat. Gotta keep the wife happy!

That Guy

Swarf
Registered Member
A few years back I wrote an article for American Iron Magazine about setting up the suspension on a 2007 Dyna Super Glide. It was a two part article and perhaps the most thorough piece written about getting the suspension perfect. I love my Dyna and thoroughly enjoy scratching the pegs on the backroads of New England. Worth a read if you can find it. They sell back issues and I'd have to guess it was printed around 2008 or 2009.

Nice job on the bike. I'll take a Dyna over a Softee any day!

Attachments

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hilarious. That starter solenoid is identical to one I just went through on a 96 dodge caravan. Denso built, I believe. There are repair parts available to replace all the high current switch components. Less than $20US. I didn't want to wait and order them, so went at it pretty much as you did.

Nice ride.

[6]
[5] [7]