Project - Fxd Dyna Super Glide

All while riding dirtbikes:

Dislocated my left shoulder in midair, re-located it when I slammed facefirst into the ground. Torn rotator cuff.
Broke two ribs (about 3-4" from my spine,) and my left thumb when I high-sided over a berm.
Concussion, wrenched back, torn right rotator cuff when I wiped out going uphill at about 50mph.
Concussion, buggered up left knee, broken finger (right ring finger), badly split lip when I wiped out setting up to rail through a turn.
On the same hill. Going into the same turn. No... I didn't learn.
Launched the bike like a ballistic missile once. Beautiful runup, 5th gear wide open. Beautiful launch, beautiful flight (I *LOVE* slow-motion tabletops), beautiful landing.
Wiped out turning around, lost 4 teeth outright, broke 2 off, chipped several more. Ended up with a full upper denture from that 'incident.' Embarrassing. And really expensive.

Worst idea ever - Taking my buddy up on a bet that I couldn't get that hopped-up, over-bored, already-insanely-fast YZ125 to run on nitromethane...

I'm a big fan of the Dyna and own a 2007 Super Glide. It's all stock except for the highway pegs, low handle bars and Works Performance suspension.

Stock exhaust, intake, cams etc. And it will run forever because of that!

I too like the mid-set foot controls. I had gotten my road race license back in 1992 and learned how to ride a bike safely at speed. The highway pegs are great when I need to stretch out a bit, but the mid controls, as stated earlier, are much better for handing the bike.

The starter motor on the bike was replaced by the previous owner but I got the old one with the bike. The plan was to make a complete renovation to have it as a spare. But it was completely okay except for the solenoid high current switch that was burnt and needs to be fixed. DSC04999.JPG
DSC05000.JPG
DSC05004.JPG
DSC05005.JPG
DSC05006.JPG
DSC05007.JPG
DSC05008.JPG
DSC05013.JPG
DSC05014.JPG
DSC05015.JPG

Nice save on the starter Micke. I've done that same basic repair on many different solenoids. Mike

very nice ride have you changed the cam bearing yet
No, are they prone to fail?

Edit: I searched around on the Internet and there are lots of reports about failed came bearings. It is said to be caused by Harley begun to use a cheaper inner cam bearing on the EVO engine, with fewer rollers, and the solution is to replace the weak INA bearing with the stronger Torrington bearing having a full roller set.

I guess it would be wise to remove the camshaft and inspect it, and replace the cam bearing as a preventive measure. The cost is negligible compared to a full engine rebuild, which can be the result if the stock bearing fails. It may of course also already have been replaced earlier since it seems to have been a hype to do this when the cam bearing weakness became well known during the 90's.

Thanks for pointing this out, I wasn't aware of this :encourage:

Last edited:
I have a 91 and I changed the bearing cam lifters and push rods it seems to be 70000kms is the number that they crap out

The mileage according to the odometer is 48000 km if I recall correct. It appears to be honest but one never know... the bike is a 97 and runs fine with a good punch and no distracting engine noise.
I think I leave it as is this season, I don't have any long trips planned for this summer. Maybe a trip to Norway mountains over an extended weekend but such journey will only be about 2000 km's in total and all fluids are new.

I remembered wrong, the mileage is 38000 km. I took a ride today in the nice weather :)
20160426.jpg

Back