Project Idea?

Finger engines are misnamed...unless they consume some/all of the finger...

Steam engines don't "consume" steam, they just utilise some of the energy in it, if you run a closed system you can collect the dead steam (water) add energy to it and use it again.
Maybe we should be calling them Coal Engines? ;-)

still better than infernal consumption engines

I'm really liking the idea of a finger-powered-treadle (so named to avoid harming of fingers :rolleyes:)

How can I design a treadle such that the flywheel stops in a position that allows it to restart with a single push of the treadle and doesn't need to rock back and forth to build up momentum? It seems like if the flywheel is (im)balanced such that it stops with the connecting rod is about 1:00 (if the treadle is at 6:00) that there would be enough momentum in the first push to get the flywheel going?

Steam engines don't "consume" steam, they just utilise some of the energy in it, if you run a closed system you can collect the dead steam (water) add energy to it and use it again.
Maybe we should be calling them Coal Engines? ;-)

I would accept an engine that the finger passed through and was then either recycled and used again, or reattached, as being a "finger engine".

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="

Our class is just finishing up our Geneva Wheels. Nice little project that teaches everyone to work together as a team to get tight tolerances to fit. I made the base with some engraving.

Untitled.png

I might get reprimanded saying this.

Down here in the Houston area, we used to call this a "Aggie Pacifier". It will keep you busy until you decide to take it apart as I did with one dad had.

I say no more.
Those are called "do nothing"

Back