Propane Prices

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
Former Member
Im up at the cabin in NW Wisconsin and I was in my easy chair and heard a truck running, looked out the window and there was The Propane guy filling my tank. I asked him how much was propane now? He said .99 cents a gallon now. I said wowwww...as last winter in March I paid $1.61 a gallon. He grinned and said the reason was the Chinese stopped buying our natural gas because of the tariffs and that lowered our domestic prices as there is surplus. So next time some one complains about the tariffs tell that one.

Last edited:
Maybe I can afford to heat my shop this winter :)

Good news, I need to fill my tank (or at least partially fill it) I only use it in my shop, have nat. gas for the house.

$3.99 a gallon here last year. They will not fill up here in Summer, unless You are almost empty. They use any excuse to top up in Winter when the price is higher.

Lucky you, prices seem to be all over the board across the nation. Ih ave a 500 gallon tank that just needed a refill and local pricing was 2.90 a gallon (and that is the summer pricing which is lower). Part of it may be if you rent or own your propane tank, as they charge more if you rent the tank. Need to look into that next time I need to get the tank refilled....

We paid 1.39 I think about a month ago. Central Michigan here and we own our tanks.
Joe Hynes

I pay $40.00 a year to lease the tank. I am on a stay fill program too, and they don't charge a delivery fee either. I am tickled...

We have a 250 gallon tank provided no charge by our local co-op. Since we burn wood as our primary heat source and hot water, the drier, and cook stove are electric, central heating is our only use. Consequently, we fill about once a year. The last fill was last March and we are down from 85% to 58%. We probably pay a higher rate because we don't own the tank but we haven't the worry about maintenance. Because we burn wood, we have to monitor the tank level and we call when it hit 30%. They will then fill the next time they are in our area.

What’s propane? Just kidding...does not get cold here like some of you guys see, but you definitely need to wear a jacket some days. I have a couple infrared electric heaters over the lathe and mill and a portable propane heater for work away from the heated area. It’s noisy, kind of smelly, and lugging the big (20 gallon?) tank to be filled is no fun. A fillup generally lasts the season.

Back