Proper Link Belt

parshal

Registered
Registered
I have a Gates belt on my 1340GT and it takes a set. I get annoyed when adjusting the set-tru check and chuck wants to move due to the belt set. I'd like to try a link belt, just to see what happens, but I can't seem to figure out the size.

Suggestions?

I just bought the HF green link belt, and have been using it for years. Comes in a 5' length IIRC?

Look at your stock belt. If still legible it will say the belt profile & length. If not you'll have to measure or rely on other 1340GT owners for belt size info. I prefer to just measure myself though.

I use two of the red link belts on my G750G. I needed two packages and had some left over.
I decided against Princess Auto (Like HF in Canada) and went to a bearing supply house for professional grade belting.
Noise dropped considerably and no slipping.

Rather than resort to a Link Belt (which aren't designed to be run bi-bidirectionally), you might try the Unbanded Gates BX27 Tri-Power Belt. That's what I put on my PM1340GT and it resolved the problems of thumpy flats from sitting idle, and also improved traction (torque). The notches on the inside of the belt make a huge difference. I used a BX27, but I also changed the motor and motor pulley, so you'd need to size it to the OEM belt.

I'm using a Gates BX26 now and looks just like the one in your photo. The tension is considerably less than yours. Any tighter and I get vibrations. I flipped my pulley and use the two larger ones.

I'm wondering less about length for a linked belt and more of what profile/size. I see a B/17/5L PowerTwist and wonder if that's the red one folks are running from Fenner.

Do you have a single- or 3-phase motor?

I'm using a Gates BX26 now and looks just like the one in your photo. The tension is considerably less than yours. Any tighter and I get vibrations. I flipped my pulley and use the two larger ones.

I'm wondering less about length for a linked belt and more of what profile/size. I see a B/17/5L PowerTwist and wonder if that's the red one folks are running from Fenner.

Top width for BX, B, 17, & 5L is pretty much the same, hence why Fenner lists B/17/5L compatibility. They differ in height. BX just means it's a notched V-belt.

9013-2026.jpg

Thanks for that.

Best I can tell the green HF belt is an AX which is 1/2” vs the 5/8” of the BX. So, maybe either works.

Back