[4]

"proper" Way To Store Drills In An Index (?)

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
A tool maker named "Wally" (Bob Waller) picked up a Harbor Freight 29 pc. fractional drill set that was setting on my desk. He looked at the drills, looked at me, dumped them in the trash and left with my index. He came back with the index full of cryo bits. I asked why he put them in the index up side down. Wally always put drill bits in the index with the shank end up for a couple of reasons. First, if you burr up the shank by spinning a bit in the chuck, it still goes back in the index. Second, your fingers aren't on the sharp/hot end of the bit. Guess I hadn't put too much thought into it at the time, but his logic makes sense. That's how I store them now. How about you guys?

Bruce

20160124_150245.jpg

joshua43214

Active User
shank down so I don't have to fight the flute putting my drills away.
If there is a burr, it needs to be stoned off. Putting away a drill with a burr is just asking for a problem later.

P.S. tell your buddy not to cook his drills and he won't burn his fingers on them anymore...

dlane

Active User
Shank down for me , don't want the tips bouncing around
Did you pull the HF bits out of the trash

David S

Active User
Shank down on all my indexes. If it won't go back in due it a burr I immediately remove the burr.

David

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Sounds interesting, never seen it done before, but if I have a burr on the shank of one of my drills, I'd want to know and fix it before redepositing it in the index.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
Shank down, same reasons as previously stated. I would have left the HF bits in the trash... or save them for your grandchild to destroy some 2 X 4' blocks.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I'll have to go with 'shank up' as Wally suggested. All the gents that I've ever been around did the same.
As it was explained to me, removing a bit by the cutting end is like grabbing a knife edge first.

C

cvairwerks

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I don't keep mine in an index. I've got a carpet lined drawer in the tool box for the single bits. The ones that I use a lot of, go back into their bulk envelopes until they are dull. Reamers go back into their storage tubes.

T

TOOLMASTER

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
flutes down..had a guy tell me it would mess up the point...if your index is harder than your drill bits you have other problems

Cavediver

If I send you an index full of HF bits, do you think he'd do it again?
:D

Shank down for me. No real reason, I suppose I just left them as they were when I opened the package.

BGHansen

Shank down for me , don't want the tips bouncing around
Did you pull the HF bits out of the trash
I did! They weren't too bad for a rough hole.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
You should have left them in the trash. Poor drills cause more frustration than the next culprit by 100X.

T Bredehoft

Active User
Bit down, no reason, just habit, I guess

great white

Active User
Registered
I've always stored them flutes down.

Dunno where I picked that up. Guess it just makes sense to me.....:)

kvt

Active User
flutes up, just because the came that way I guess. I also would have pulled them out of the trash, Good for various thing, like wood, cleaning holes, etc.

toolroom

Registered
Registered
Been doin' that since 1978 when I started my Washington State Apprenticeship Program. An O'le Sweede told me that, an' I been doin' it ever since. OMG, that's been 46 years?
Yowza

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
You guys mean that you're not supposed to pull the drill bits out of that box thingy, use them, then just throw them on the work bench where you can get to them easy???:confused:

Grandpop

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I've always kept mine flutes up. Recently recieved the sets that were my FILs (also ex tool &die), and he kept his shank up. out of tespect, I keep his that way. My dad (another tool & die) taught me flutes up, a nd everyone i ever worked with did same. Recently noticed that several seem to be doing shanks up. To each their own?

Techie1961

Registered
Registered
Flutes up like they were when new. If the point is down, the margin's edges might loosen up the index's holes and damage the index. I've never seen a drill so sharp that it would cut my finger.

Chippy

Threw the index boxes in the garbage and replace them with Hout bit dispenser cabinets.

David VanNorman

Whats the big deal they go in shank up.

BGHansen

If I send you an index full of HF bits, do you think he'd do it again?
:D

Shank down for me. No real reason, I suppose I just left them as they were when I opened the package.
Good thought! I asked him about that at the time and just got "the look". The transaction occurred about 20 years ago at a GM plant in Lansing, MI.

As an aside, I was in the tool room reviewing a job when a scooter backed into a Vidmar with fractional, number and letter drill bits in it. Knocked the cabinet over and mixed up the drills. They gave the sorting job to an apprentice who tired of the task and dumped about 3 coffee cans full of new HSS bits in the trash. I retrieved most of them and spent many an evening with index gauges and mics sorting drill bits. Never had to think about buying another HF drill set!

Bruce

randyjaco

Active User
I have always done shank to indicate a drill bit to be sharpened later.
Randy

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my SWMBO. I had replaced the toilet paper in the bathroom. She informed me I had done it wrong. I told her "I used the last roll up and replaced it." She told me I had put it on upside down. "It should feed off the top not the bottom."
My reply was " As long as there was paper there when I needed to use it , it didn't matter to me."
Same goes for drill bits as long as they get put back in the index I don't care witch way they go in. I always mic them and touch up the flutes as needed before I drill the hole.
*************Just Saying***********G*************** approved.gif ********

approved.gif

kwoodhands

Active User
A tool maker named "Wally" (Bob Waller) picked up a Harbor Freight 29 pc. fractional drill set that was setting on my desk. He looked at the drills, looked at me, dumped them in the trash and left with my index. He came back with the index full of cryo bits. I asked why he put them in the index up side down. Wally always put drill bits in the index with the shank end up for a couple of reasons. First, if you burr up the shank by spinning a bit in the chuck, it still goes back in the index. Second, your fingers aren't on the sharp/hot end of the bit. Guess I hadn't put too much thought into it at the time, but his logic makes sense. That's how I store them now. How about you guys?

Bruce

View attachment 120374
cutting edge down ,for the same reason as "wally"
mike

rick9345

Active User
Stored where I can't find the one I need!Flustered

Frank Ford

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
When I use a drill bit, I like to return it to the index holder "face down." That way, I can easily identify the unused, sharp bits which have the sharp edges up.

080.jpg

And, I agree, used bits can have burs that make it hard to stick 'em back flutes up.

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]