Proper way to use lantern tool post

dan97526

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I'm slowly familiarizing myself with my first lathe. It's a Seneca Falls Star 12x36. It has a lantern tool post with a wedge and several Armstrong Tool holders.

I am confused as to the use of the wedge in conjunction with the tool holders. Is the wedge employed when using a tool holder, or is it only to be used when the tool bit is installed directly into the lantern?

Thanks,
Dan

The wedge goes in the lantern, and the lantern goes in the scrap pile never to be seen again. Most folks use a AXA or BXA sized quick change tool post, and a tiny few use a 4-sided tool holder, but nobody uses lanterns, not even for nostalgia.

The wedge is used to adjust the tool height to center, do not throw it in the scrap heap, they occasionally come in handy when the QC tool holder is too bulky to clear some special job; I have Alois and Aloris type tool posts on both of my lathes, but also retain my lantern tool posts, "just in case", along with the Armstrong tool holders, and even OK interchangeable cutting tip tool sets for both the lathes and horizontal and vertical shapers.
The wedge goes in the lantern, and the lantern goes in the scrap pile never to be seen again. Most folks use a AXA or BXA sized quick change tool post, and a tiny few use a 4-sided tool holder, but nobody uses lanterns, not even for nostalgia.
Don't say "NOBODY"!!!

You may not but a lot of do use ours for specialty jobs.

I have been looking for a complete and decent lantern tool post at a great price to fit my 13x40 for years. Still haven't found the right one for the right price. They are definitely better for getting into tight areas than most other tool holding systems. I know there are plenty of them hiding deep in drawers in shops everywhere.

I think I understand what you're saying.

For example, NOBODY uses one of these today, but you might want to write letters to send via courier post with stamps using one.
oldtech9.jpg

And some of you would invite friends over to watch the Super Bowl on this type of system:
6e87d663c0c048289d24ba27c41c5c44.jpg

Same folks like to lug around one of these while on vacation...
Polaroid-camera.jpg

Get it?

Better solutions exist today, making these nostalgia items useless except for (wait for it) nostalgia.

Back