Proper way to use lantern tool post

I have this old blackpowder rifle. Should I scrap it?

I have this old blackpowder rifle. Should I scrap it?
If it is accurate, keep it! Same for toolposts; as others have said, sometimes the fancy QCTP is too bulky to get access in tight places, an example would be in turning crankshafts.

BONUS: I have two tools for cutting wood in my lathe. they look similar, but by adjusting the angle of the tools I can use my softwood bit to accommodate differences in the wood grain, texture or moisture content. If that doesn't work well, I use the stteper cutting angle tool (hardwood tool) and adjust again. I get really good results because of this angle adjust ability.
Late to this thread and don't have much to add - ^^ This ^^

My experience is probably a little unusual, I purchased a South Bend 9A primarily to turn wooden parts. I was familiar enough with turning tools that grinding HSS bits wasn't a big leap. Wood can be very fussy and you get dramatic differences in cut/finish with small adjustments to the tool approach. There is no way I would have been able to make small tool approach changes with anything but a lantern style holder. (what the lathe came with).

I started doing a little bit of metal work and I'm now almost exclusively working with metal (nothing exotic - common steels, brass and some stainless). I found that it is way more convenient to have dedicated bits setup on Aloris QCTP. I rarely use the lantern. However as stated in this thread, the QCTP and holders often make it hard to reach into tight spots and work with small parts. I'm going to reconsider using the lantern next time I'm struggling reach a cut.

I have yet to use carbide - the lathe came with some brazed carbide tools, I don't have any insert holders. I've tried the brazed carbide a few times with mediocre results. I may eventually run into something that HSS just can't handle, but I doubt it.

The lantern is a "little" less solid than the Aloris, but there are lot of things that contribute to the rigidity and for my case - I'm running an SB 9A - it's a toolroom lathe not a beast.

@dbb-the-bruce I used a SB 9A off an on for many years, and it is a very capable light lathe. I find that on smaller lathes using sharp HSS tooling is usually superior to carbide tools... with the exception of ground parting tools - the ones ground for aluminum. I use them is steel also, (of course the edge life is shortened).

I have 'big boy' lathes now, but still dive into the 'HSS stash' often to make form tools, and do specialized turning, such as wood.

I have been using a lantern post for about 40 years because that is what the old lathe came with, it works and quick change setups are expensive, partly because you need a bunch of tool holders to get best benefit from them. I have also used quick change tools at work and agree it is faster to change tools with them. I am currently rebuilding a south bend 10L and reworked the lantern, using blueing to get contact near the OD of the 1/2 moon shaped "wedge" and concave base. Also contact at the OD of the base to the compound top. This will improve rigidity. Someday I will probably buy quick change holders for my old lathes but it always seems like there is something else a little higher on the list. Boring head for mil, DRO, firearm, bigger chainsaw etc etc. The machine work is mostly a hobby, if I was going for maximum production I would have newer lathes with quick change tooling.

quick change setups are expensive, partly because you need a bunch of tool holders
Although that is true for any quick change setup, you are right, and good tool holders for a lantern are in sort(er) supply.

However I sold almost all of my lantern tool holders except for a minimal set of Armstrong forged ones. (the last ones were not forged BTW - you can tell on the ends where they poorly cleaned up the casting lines - the very lathe ones were cast steel)

So I now have a minimal set and savour every tool change. Hey I pay to do this hobby so I'll relish every minute of it!

I use my lantern occasionally to reach into tight spots. Winky's Workshop has several videos about making a more modern lantern with a threaded adjuster to set the height of the tool bit.

The expense of all of the toolholders for your typical QCTP was too much for me too. So I made a Norman style QCTP. For less than $100 I bought enough steel to make 20 tool holders. I have made 12 so far.

@mickri I currently own and use lantern, 4-way, AXA and BXA Aloris, and a big Dixon. 80% of my work is on a 4-way. It reads weird, but I have 3 lathes over 12". I've experimented with Aloris (I have over 35 holders for the AXA and BXA combined. I'll be transitioning away from Aloris, so someone is eventually going to get a great deal.

I have a 4 way also. It was what I used the most before I made my Norman QCTP. I discovered the Norman QCTP by accident. I was researching how to make a 4 way that could be adjusted to set the height of the tool bits at centerline when I came across a video describing how to make a Norman QCTP. One of the projects on my to do list is to make a 4 way toolholder for my Norman QCTP. I have just about got it figured out.

I use an Aloris clone QCTP. I have my latern neatly stored in a cigar box patiently waiting for the day when I need it. It has been in the cigar box for several years.

Back