Properly packaged vs. Improperly.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
(somewhat of a rant...)
Had a few packages come in over the season, not many though, just a few.
On Honey's '99 Caddy, a rear shock finally bit the dust and since it has 'Air Leveling' suspension the replacements are close to $500.00/ea. well....
Thankfully Monroe and a couple of others make a conventional Spring Equipped shock @ $109/pr.
So we ordered those from Amazon along with a couple of ACDelco front rotors since my attempt at turning the other rotors 3 months ago failed. (That's for another post...)
They came quick enough on a Saturday, even without Prime, but here's the rub. The shocks and (1) rotor came in a 10" x 16" x 32" box with only a single piece of shipping tape on both sides. The second rotor came on Sunday.
One piece of kraft paper tossed in for who knows what reason, so they banged around all the way from Hebron, KY.
The shocks were in their own unmarked box, but the ended had given out and one pack of mounting hardware was MIA.
Thankfully I have a lathe and drawers full of misc hardware, else I would have been up the creek.

I realize that packing items up in an Amazon warehouse is PureD H*ll, but you would think that the system would that spits out boxes and such would be properly programmed. The amount of waste in Amazon packaging is amazing. They really need to up their game.

Managed to get the shocks and rotors done while we had some nice weather and the ol' beast is doing much better.

Now for a -plus- note. Honey saw on a wish list that I has stashed some Pferd file handles. They were running some sort of nice cheap promotion on them if you bought something else and she went ahead and tossed them in with the order. So late Christmas goodies for me.
Look at how these were packed from Pferd - perfect, or is that Pferd-fect?
1547248814227.png There was also plenty of bubble pack that I didn't show.

(somewhat of a rant...)
Had a few packages come in over the season, not many though, just a few.
On Honey's '99 Caddy, a rear shock finally bit the dust and since it has 'Air Leveling' suspension the replacements are close to $500.00/ea. well....
Thankfully Monroe and a couple of others make a conventional Spring Equipped shock @ $109/pr.
So we ordered those from Amazon along with a couple of ACDelco front rotors since my attempt at turning the other rotors 3 months ago failed. (That's for another post...)
They came quick enough on a Saturday, even without Prime, but here's the rub. The shocks and (1) rotor came in a 10" x 16" x 32" box with only a single piece of shipping tape on both sides. The second rotor came on Sunday.
One piece of kraft paper tossed in for who knows what reason, so they banged around all the way from Hebron, KY.
The shocks were in their own unmarked box, but the ended had given out and one pack of mounting hardware was MIA.
Thankfully I have a lathe and drawers full of misc hardware, else I would have been up the creek.

I realize that packing items up in an Amazon warehouse is PureD H*ll, but you would think that the system would that spits out boxes and such would be properly programmed. The amount of waste in Amazon packaging is amazing. They really need to up their game.

Managed to get the shocks and rotors done while we had some nice weather and the ol' beast is doing much better.

Now for a -plus- note. Honey saw on a wish list that I has stashed some Pferd file handles. They were running some sort of nice cheap promotion on them if you bought something else and she went ahead and tossed them in with the order. So late Christmas goodies for me.
Look at how these were packed from Pferd - perfect, or is that Pferd-fect?
View attachment 284579 There was also plenty of bubble pack that I didn't show.

Just wait until they start flying those packages with drones and the parts start falling out of the packages.:laughing:

Check out Rock Auto ( https://www.rockauto.com/ ). The first time I purchased from them, I ordered a catalytic converter at 3PM on a Friday. The part was on my doorstep at 10AM the next day. I generally find that they have what I need in stock and that it is the best price, on-line or locally. Fast shipping as well.

Amazon built the entire business on fast delivery.
Waiting around for months until a deal comes up on shipping materials at ebay or cragislist is not an option.
Low budget hobbyists can do so for years if not longer to find the lowest price on what they require, this approach does not work well in retailing (-:
I could be wrong however.

I like Rock auto for vehicle parts also.

I usually do RockAuto but at times their shipping has messed me up and taken 7+ days. At times they're here within (3).'
Their pricing is always spot on.
I ordered my fuel pump for the Truck from them a couple of years ago and it took a week to get here. Usually they get orders out within a day.
This time around I wanted to try to catch the good weather.
Saved just over $15 with dear ol' Amazon, but of course there is the matter of the missing pack of hardware. . .

Just had to replaced the (3) o-rings on the truck's fuel rail today. Rockauto was $19 +shp, O'Reilly's came to $32, and the GM dealer listed them for $46.
$11 a piece for bloody o-rings!!! -bleh

Amazon has an area where you can leave packaging feedback, including pictures. The teams responsible for the FC software look at that a lot.

I believe (never took the FC tour when I worked there) that the computer systems deliver a box and all the items that should go into on a conveyor to the people doing the actual packing. The FC teams can pull up what box was suggested and why it was chosen. That seems to usually be a function of the longest item in the shipment—one time I got a box about 20"x20"x40" for a rolled up map, about 1" dia and 3 feet long.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Amazon has an area where you can leave packaging feedback, including pictures. The teams responsible for the FC software look at that a lot.

I believe (never took the FC tour when I worked there) that the computer systems deliver a box and all the items that should go into on a conveyor to the people doing the actual packing. The FC teams can pull up what box was suggested and why it was chosen. That seems to usually be a function of the longest item in the shipment—one time I got a box about 20"x20"x40" for a rolled up map, about 1" dia and 3 feet long.

That's what I was thinking. the shocks were long and narrow, the one rotor 2x12x12. That rotor bouncing around in there caused havoc.
I was also thinking about the volume it takes up in the mail carriers vehicle...

...I was also thinking about the volume it takes up in the mail carriers vehicle...

That shows up in the shipping cost as "dimensional weight". Packages that are too light for their size get charged based on volume instead of weight.

Back