Properties Of Different Materials?

RVJimD

Active User
Registered
Is there a good chart/reference on the properties of different materials? I have searched a bit here in the beginners forum but not yet found anything.

I am headed out to my local metal supplier, Des Moines Iron, to get some 3/4" round steel rod and I want to know what to expect them to have on hand and what would be best for me from a easy to machine standpoint.

I know they don't stock much 12L14, I guess I should just bite the bullet and order some of that. And, it never seems like they have a good grasp of what they actually have and what would be good for a particular project. I think they end up ordering what their big customers ask for and they don't really know as much about the stuff as I would like...

Anyhow, if there is a chart or something can some post a link? I sort of hoped I would find it in the beginners sticky group.

Thanks,

Jim

Check the McMaster Carr catalog. They have a fairly good description page at the front of each metals section. search for steel, aluminum, etc. and select bar stock pick one and at the top of the page you should see about" Click on that to get their description page. You can also reach it by viewing the actual catalog pages on line. I believe that on line metal suppliers like onlinemetals.com also have fairly good descriptions of metal properties. Go to a type of metal and click on "View the "{xxxx} Guide" for grades, shapes & various properties" .

On Line Metals has pretty good descriptions of the properties of the metals they sell.

EMJ (Earle M. Jorgensen) is a major supplier and excellent resource for materials information. Lots of those little blue books around, but I don't think they have those to give away any more. They have a catalog on CD, but I prefer the book. If you can get your hands on a book, do it.

http://www.emjmetals.com/

I doubt they sell to HM'ers, but no reason not to use their technical resources.

I just saw that. Thanks for posting. I have not seen the current version. I have a couple, but they are getting pretty old. I requested one myself, just to see what they changed. I had been getting a current CD, since I am a customer, but I really never liked it. Rather have the book.

I think the EMJ site listed some color codes. Are those codes standard in the industry?

Not really......wish they were. The mills they buy from, if they are distributors, mark as requested. EMJ is a manufacturer, so they have had a consistent color system a long time. There may be some overlap in the non-manufacturer distributors, if they don't spec the marking. The mills will use their own, and if 5 different distributors buy the mill run, then yes, those will be consistent. Hopefully, you know where the steel came from, and can call and ask. Or better yet, get certs if you buy new material and keep it marked as to heat number and material type, as well as HT condition.

Back