Proprietary end mill?

We have a key cutter with a saw type cutter that lasts for 1,000's of keys before needing replacement. The whole machine was less than $500. You'd be money ahead to make the switch unless that is cutting tubular keys or something.
This type of cutter is used for duplicating the laser cut or "sidewinder" type keys.

May I suggest that you look outside USA? Found this in UK, Euro 7$

THM Laser Cutter / End Mill - 2.5 x 6.0mm
But they don't sell to USA. Found a listing for Uxcell 2.5mm https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-2-5mm-Cutting-Shank-Cutter/dp/B01GJRYE0Y for $7.63 and free shipping.
Looking at your picture, I would take old end mill and cut off relief. Modify new one to correct length and use a cut off wheel or equivalent to cut notch on side to match setscrew. If it works I would look for metric measuring countries (most of the world) for one who ships internationally.
If the relief is needed, you could get a cheap lathe and carbide tool and micrometer or use tool post grinder suggestion above to put the relief in. It is only 1/2mm by your description above. By your acount, and with Ebay used stuff, it shouldn't take long to recover costs
You could also make a bench grinder attachment to grind relief on a standard end mill. Charles

Some good ideas here.
The keys that we cut are like this. I don't know why Ford decided to go with this type??
Had to buy new machines maybe?key (2).JPG

The keys that we cut are like this. I don't know why Ford decided to go with this type??

Most brands are switching over to this style. They are higher security - harder to pick the locks, harder to duplicate they key.
Tradition locks are pretty easy to pick and anyone with a file can duplicate a key.

Downside is replacement keys are more expensive, especially if they have a transponder built in and unlike traditional keys the neighborhood hardware store is going to be less likely to be able to make you one. (as the market increases you are starting to see them available in more places though)

The cutter diameter doesn't have to be 2.5mm, it could be smaller like 3/32 so long as the stylus is the same size. I'd use a 3/16" shank cutter and make a bushing and a stylus to match.

Some good ideas here.
Had to buy new machines maybe?View attachment 302365
Yeah, we don't have them new fangled keys. It seems to me 2.5mm is a bit small but you would think they would break instead of getting dull. Maybe it needs flood coolant. :cool:

Back