Pros and cons of the PM-1340GT lathe

A LeBlond will not need change gears for what you want to do. Headstock dimensions are probably larger than what you want though. Finding a good used lathe though is really challenging, especially where you live. Here is a link to a current auction in MSP. I have given this serious thought but it is really too big for me. It is a beautiful LeBlond though. The catch is though that you will need to buy chucks, tool post and this one does not have a follow or steady rest either. All that will add up quick.
1610897798560.png

A LeBlond will not need change gears for what you want to do. Headstock dimensions are probably larger than what you want though. Finding a good used lathe though is really challenging, especially where you live. Here is a link to a current auction in MSP. I have given this serious thought but it is really too big for me. It is a beautiful LeBlond though. The catch is though that you will need to buy chucks, tool post and this one does not have a follow or steady rest either. All that will add up quick.
View attachment 351507
That's a clean one. I have found several similar, dandy, but, really too big machines, although this one is very nice... I could see having one of these and a 1340GT as well. LOL

This one, albeit not cheap, is built like a tank.
Standard Modern 1940 for your viewing pleasure

If the major issue you have with the 1127 is the change gears, have you considered converting it to an electronic lead screw? No change gears and a lot less expensive than buying a new lathe, I think it is a $200-300 in parts at most.

There are a few posts on the forum from people who have done it, and I think there are even kits available if you don't want to find the individual parts.

The electronic leadscrew thing is a little bit too complicated for me.
There's at least one commercial electronic leadscrew kit available, so you don't have a big complicated project. I think an electronic leadscrew would be a huge improvement over any gearbox setup. It can do things a gearbox cannot.

Back