Protecting Ways from Swarf's

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I see most have some type of rubber mat that connects to the saddle and to the column of the mill to protect the ways.I am placing a order with McMaster for some screws and gasket material so I would like to order a piece of rubber also to help keep swarfs from ways on the knee and column.What do I need to get for this purpose?Looking at 12"x24" x 1/16 thick but asking if I want soft,med,firm?Here's what I'm looking at https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/124/3655

I would go with soft, it needs to fold up well. Ps I used salvaged leather for this and it works really well.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Best would be diaphragm rubber with fabric reinforcement between the layers of rubber.

Whatever is free and available. GrayTech used leather which is fantastic if you have some especially boiled in Beeswax and Neatsfoot oil it will last forever. Thin conveyor belting is good or if you are salvaging a treadmill there is enough for all sorts of machines. Treadmill belt you can iron in pleats but use cloth between the iron and the belt or you will have a very dirty iron and burnt belt.

Hi Guys,

I scored a roll of white silicon rubber food conveyer belting from a scrap yard a while back. 3 mm thick and a yard wide, probably 20 or so feet of it, just for taking it away.

Back