Prototype help needed for a hyperbaric pin

My daughter is a bio-medical engineer, there's serious money and very serious barriers to entry for that field.

John
Agreed... And the waters get even muddier when you have 3 facilities and 2 companies in the "entity mix"

No worries @Silverforgestudio. Projects seem to take way longer than expected; that seems to be the norm. As an example, I was given the task of determining why some of our product was being damaged in shipping and a course of correction. I figured "meh, 3 weeks and I'll have it done". I am now going into the 4th month and I am getting closer!
Well... That is comforting to know from my perspective- sorry you're jammed up as well, but glad I've got some company too!

I feel like this is why stuff doesn't get done... It's just attrition and being able to outlast the arguments...

Taper is different than curved.
I realize that., but "%" is not a measure of a conical surface. Indeed, it's not in and of itself really a measure of any sort of surface. If, however, the diameter of an object changes uniformly by some factor - like 6% - over some unit length, then its surface is curved along its longitudinal axis. This compared to a cone, for example, whose diameter changes by a fixed measure over some unit length. The longitudinal cross section is a simple triangle.

Oh, and just by the way, conical tapers are only 1 type of taper. Any object whose perpendicular cross section diminishes in circumference as one moves in one direction along the longitudinal axis is tapered. The collapsing circumference needn't even be uniform, just continually decreasing. Sheet metal screws, for example, are tapered:
1628254719326.png

^^^ Interesting^^^. Thanks for the enlightenment.
The "%" is an odd way to look at a taper, if that is what is going on there.

I realize that., but "%" is not a measure of a conical surface. Indeed, it's not in and of itself really a measure of any sort of surface. If, however, the diameter of an object changes uniformly by some factor - like 6% - over some unit length, then its surface is curved along its longitudinal axis. This compared to a cone, for example, whose diameter changes by a fixed measure over some unit length. The longitudinal cross section is a simple triangle.

Oh, and just by the way, conical tapers are only 1 type of taper. Any object whose perpendicular cross section diminishes in circumference as one moves in one direction along the longitudinal axis is tapered. The collapsing circumference needn't even be uniform, just continually decreasing. Sheet metal screws, for example, are tapered:
View attachment 374528
Pretty sure its not "diameter changes by a percent of the diameter", but "diameter changes by a percent of the lengthwise distance". For example, this table says that a Morse 3 taper is 0.6024 inches per foot or 0.0502 inches per inch. "5.02%" is just another way of saying "0.0502 inches per inch".

Great discussion!

Thanks to all involved.
It goes to show how carefully one must spec the part to not be misunderstood.
I think the perspective/experience really comes into play here.

As Dr. John Zoidberg once said:
You kids and your topologies!

-brino

Pretty sure its not "diameter changes by a percent of the diameter", but "diameter changes by a percent of the lengthwise distance". For example, this table says that a Morse 3 taper is 0.6024 inches per foot or 0.0502 inches per inch. "5.02%" is just another way of saying "0.0502 inches per inch".
That is an ordinary conical taper. The OP said it was "weird", though, and the taper did actually look cured in the picture. This could have simply been perspective, however.

^^^ Interesting^^^. Thanks for the enlightenment.
The "%" is an odd way to look at a taper, if that is what is going on there.
If jmkasunich is correct, as well may be the case, then it is simply a different unitless measure. If it really is a geometrically decreasing taper, however, then it is not so odd, except that the unit length must be specified. Unlike a conical, parabolic, hyperbolic, or elliptical taper, which can be specified with only the angle of the vertex, or the eccentriciy in the case of an elliptical taper, the spec is not unitless. Here is a picture (sort of) of a 6% per unit geometrically decreasing taper:
1628488547422.png

Unlike the linear relationship between the cross section and the axis of a conical, etc. taper, a K% / x unit taper is NOT the same as a 2K% / 2x unit taper. A 6% / unit taper is the same as an 11.64% / 2x taper.

Last edited:
Back